Oddball IP display policy elsewhere

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MikeBCda, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi,

(If this belongs more properly in one of the "Privacy" forums, be my guest.)

There's a developer/vendor of a top-notch solitaire game who, a couple of years ago, set up an accompanying support-and-discussion forum. So that I don't run into problems with supposed spamming or flaming, no names mentioned here.

I noticed a few days ago that a posting from an unregistered guest had his/her IP clearly shown. When I pointed this out to the operator, his reply was that (a) it was to help him track down trouble-makers, if any, and (b) he didn't think his board software (took some digging, but turned out to be DiscusPro) had an option to change that.

How do I get the message across to this guy that (a) it's a downright rude violation of privacy, and (b) every other board software I've ever seen is set up (probably by default) so that IP's are only accessible by admins and maybe also mods?

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Tell him to come here and find out why it is a bad idea. We'll give him a screen full of reasons.

For your security on that site, you could use an anonymous proxy server:

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

I personally have never used one, so I cannot recommend a site.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, C_H. I'm not particularly concerned for myself, I always log in there same as here. And for whatever the heck reason, it's only unregistered guests who get their IP's shown.

I just had a thought -- if he's correct that there's no setting for this, he must have changed to a new version quite recently. (Upgraded?? :p ) I don't remember ever seeing IP's until a week or so ago, and I'm sure something like that would have jumped out at me if it had been there all along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.