Odd WMP plug-in behaviour in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That looks good. But can I use Google Earth in Ubuntu? ;)

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There's always Marble: http://edu.kde.org/marble/

I'm not certain how it compares to Google Earth though.

Edit: Compared to G Earth, it's pretty unspectacular.

3. Daveski17

OK, I stand corrected. I downloaded it once a couple of years ago but decided it was a bit superfluous as I had VLC, WMP & QuickTime.

Sounds like you have it well *sussed.

I don't know much about KMPlayer, it looks pretty good though. However I think I'll stick with VLC for the moment.

Fair enough.

*sussed = 'figured out' (British slang)

4. Daveski17

OK thanks. Maybe Google will develop a Nix plug-in eventually. Isn't the Chrome OS based on Ubuntu (Gubuntu?)?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have no idea, actually. I know it's 'nix based, but whether that's Ubuntu or not *shrug*. It is, however, these small details like Google Earth that keep me from going full-blown Linux.

6. Daveski17

I'm probably wrong about it being based on Ubuntu, but I do know it's Linux based.

I'd definitely miss Google Earth, apart from the fact that it is fun to use, it can be incredibly useful for finding places I need to get to. Does this mean that you can't get G Earth on a Chromebook?

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Iirc, Earth uses Java, which is not supported (or wasn't) with Chrome OS. Whether that has changed I don't know.

Edit: Per the system requirements page http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=166094 , it's still a no go.

8. Daveski17

I think Google may have shot themselves in the foot with that!

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Considering the OS is a chance to shove everything Google down a users throat, you're probably right. But, if there's a will, there's a way, and the OS does have "forks", in which supposedly Java is working. (found that out while meandering for info, on some random site) P.s, it is supposedly 'Buntu-based as well.

10. Daveski17

I'll be keeping an eye on Chrome OS but I have a feeling it won't really take off until it's developed more.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Of course, been using it since I first switched to Linux. :)

GE.jpg

12. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info. It looks good in Ubuntu. Are you running it on WINE or some form of emulator?

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No, I don't use Wine. If I remember correctly I just added the Medibuntu repository, but it can also be downloaded from the GE site .. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

14. Daveski17

OK thanks, considering Google Earth for Linux is still a beta it looks pretty good.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Download Google Earth for PC, Mac, or Linux

As Ocky says, no need for Wine at least for this.

OTOH, the GE plug-in (for browsers) is apparently not available for Linux:

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ocky, how did you get it to play in VLC? When I tried, Auntie was insisting on Real Player or the WMP thing.

17. Daveski17

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In future I won't be using Ubuntu, but will switch to Scientific Linux or Kubuntu as my main distro. (Not keen on Unity or Gnome 3)
    Currently playing with/testing Kubuntu in VBox on SL 6.1 - very nice. Coming from Windows it may be a better option.

PS. When still using Windows (XP) I found AIMP to be an excellent media player.

Kubuntu Vbox.jpg

19. Daveski17

This may be the answer to my original question, & may explain some odd anomalies in this player in Firefox & SeaMonkey that don't seem to affect Chrome or IE.

20. Daveski17

I tried to play the video on this BBC page. Neither Firefox 7 or SeaMonkey 2.4 will run the video on my notebook (Vista 32 bit). This time the pop-up displays everything but WMP. Both Firefox & SeaMonkey run the video perfectly on my desktop (Win 7 64 bit). Portable Apps Firefox won’t run them on my notebook either & the pop-up is just the same. Bizarrely, I have found that the portable Firefox runs WMP on a borrowed Toshiba laptop (Vista 32 bit) but not the Firefox 7 installed on the Toshiba. Not only that, the pop-up on the Toshiba claims it needs plug-ins (which won’t install) as happened to me once before on my notebook. The last time I had this problem I discovered that a clean install solved the problem, although SeaMonkey was fine if I remember. The Video runs in IE, Chrome, Iron & Opera. o_O

My solution this time?

IE Tab

21. ABee

ABee Registered Member

And once again, for me, using XP and Firefox 7, there was no problem at all viewing the video, with a choice given of using either the WMP plugin, Real plugin, or opening in a stand-alone player. I used the default WMP plugin option.

Allowed bbc.co.uk and bbcimg.co.uk thru NoScript, that's all. At which point I 'had lift-off'.

22. Daveski17

From what I have researched (& by that I mean surfed Duck Duck Go a little ;)) I believe that there have been some bugs in certain versions (11.0.6002.1831?) of WMP & plug-ins in the past. That or it's some Vista thing. It is an interesting point that your older system (XP) & my desktop (Win 7) seem fine yet both machines running Vista that I tried are having difficulties. What really confuses me though is why the Portable Apps Firefox (which needs np-wmp.dll manually pasted into its plug-ins folder) worked on the Toshiba laptop yet its own Firefox 7 on its Local disc refuses to find the plug-ins; exactly what happened to my notebook earlier. The Portable Apps Firefox wouldn't work on my notebook but the pop-up opened & showed a blank space where WMP should have been. The WMP version is the same on both (Vista) computers & both machines are more or less the same age. I honestly think it is just a failure to launch ... Houston we have a problem ... Vista thing LOL!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  23. ABee

ABee Registered Member

I don't know much what to suggest. My plugin is WMP 9, and I'm not very familiar with later versions.

You should go to 'about:plugins' in Firefox on any machine having a problem, and at least make sure the three WMP plugin entries are listed there and enabled.

If your Win7 is 64-bit, maybe the problem is in the '64-bit' somehow.

Got any oddball extensions that could be interfering with plugin behaviours?
    Seems about 90-95% of Firefox issues have to do with either a corrupted profile or an extension. Maybe your issues here are part of that other 5-10%, but one thing to try is disable all extensions, restart the browser, and see if it makes any difference.
    If it fixes it, then re-enable extensions one at a time until the culprit is found.

That's about all I got.

24. Daveski17

Everything looks fine as far as I can see.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear, my Win 7 64 bit desktop opens the player fine, it is my Vista 32 bit notebook & a Vista 32 bit Toshiba laptop that it has a problem with.

Yeah, extensions are often the culprit. I've tried opening Fx in safe mode on both of the computers that are having the problem & there is no difference. SeaMonkey is having the same problem. Every other browser is fine. It may be an extension compatibility problem of some sort. I fixed it last time by a clean install, but that is going to be a bit of a drag every Firefox update. Or I could just start using another browser on my notebook. Thanks for the reply anyway.

25. Daveski17

This doesn't make me feel any better either.

"Double Trojan infects IE, Firefox in one swoop" :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.