Odd situation

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by m00nbl00d, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

A relative using SOL (Facebook version) told me about an odd situation. From time to time my relative performs a scan with Prevx, and it was noted that it scans in D:\... (it scans files like D:\Program Files\...)

The problem is that D:\ is for CD/DVD player, which contains no CD/DVD. Saving a log shows no indication of a D:\ scanning o_O Odd, no o_O

Running Windows Vista SP2 Home Premium 32-bit.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If they've had a file load previously from the D:\ drive, Prevx will always look for it to make sure it will find any possible infections that wouldn't have been scanned by default. There aren't any downsides to having it look through there so you shouldn't have anything to worry about :)

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I have also seen this couple of times. Just asking, when I am offline and accessed a lot of files from removable drive, after connecting to internet and running a default scan with prevx does increase scan time even if I have removed the files?

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK... But, unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's not what my relative told me and what in turn I related here... I think. :D

What happens is that, when starting a Prevx scan, it will start scanning D:\Program Files\ (among other directories), as if this D:\ was the main hard disk or something like that. D:\ is only for the CD/DVD player, nothing else.

D:\ has never been assigned to any other device, and for what my relative told me, ever since Prevx SOL got installed, a CD/DVD was never played, so there's no reason for such behavior, even less to scan things like D:\Program Files (an others).

Does this situation make any sense o_O

P.S: I may be misinterpreting what you mentioned, though.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This would sound like there may be a shortcut created on the system somewhere pointing to the files, even if they don't exist. Prevx doesn't try random paths but it uses information stored on the system. Because of how Windows assigns drive letters, it's possible that something has been reassigned which makes Prevx scan for different files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.