Odd results on Speedtest

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by T_Durden, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

I have windows 7 home premium with firefox as a browser and KIS and MBAM Pro for security. I have used speed test.net in the past and ran smooth until a few months ago. When it runs the first test it only hovers around 4 or 5 mbps then shoots to 2000 to 3000 and moves on to the next test which seems to run ok. Anyone know what may be causing this or have the same experience? I use comcast by the way as my ISP. Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

is KIS set to monitor web browsing? If yes maybe that is causing the spike

3. T_Durden

I have the web AV turned on but the plug in for the url checker is disabled as of yesterday. The last test was about a week ago.

4. axial

axial Registered Member

The "Comcast HSI" forum on DSLreports.com (possibly more generally known as broadbandreports.com ) has quite a lot of good info about various speedtests and their relevance for Comcast users. There are often posts about "traffic shaping" and how that affects speedtest results.

5. T_Durden

Thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look. After the other guy mentioned the kaspersky setting though, I am starting to think it was around that time that this all started. It was after I installed it at some point when the test started acting up. Although I am less than impressed with my IP providers, I have no options yet to switch to a different one at the moment. I'll look at the link and see what it says. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.