Odd problem Nod doesnt catch - odd song plays

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by leBeatnik, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leBeatnik

leBeatnik Registered Member

I run Win XP SP3 with NOD32 and Spybot - Search & Destroy neither of them say anything is wrong with my computer.

What happens is randomly it plays the same 10 sec piece of some song that sounds like country almost hillbilly like music its so short and random I don't know the words to find out what the song is but I can tell you its not one of my MP3s.

Any Ideas on what this could possibly be?

I am on a WiFi Home network with a router I rarely get any problems this is maybe the first odd thing that I have had.

Now the Problem is IDK what this is, It runs randomly as far as i can tell, I don't know what if anything sets it off. Worst of all I doubt it but it could be part of something I have installed but I don't install odd software or software from odd places.

Any input you have I would appreciate and hopefully with some help i can resolve this. At this point it is just an annoyance but the thing is IDK what it actually is, if it is some small VB script that plays a short mp3, or some data collecting type program which would not make me happy at all.

I have had this problem for over a month or 2 now and i have not been able to fix it please help if you can. I appreciate it and Just tell me any if you want to help diagnose this and i will do anything to help.

Thank you all in advance!

2. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

try going to your sounds in control panel and change the sound scheme back to windows default.

3. leBeatnik

Thanks for that as i know this is the most common thing for this but this is not the case i have gone through all my system sound settings. I have been unable to on my own find this sound file (I don't know what type as I can play almost any type of sound file that is common to semi common not really the rare types and raw and lossless audio I don't bother with)

I worked for the cable company and I can't count how many times I have been to an elderly woman's home and just changed the channel back to 3 to get their cable back. (her thinking it was a major problem although all that happened was she hit the channel button instead of the volume or something, and no i never charged them I always told the company it was something else so she would not have to pay $75 for me to press a button I think that's wrong especially for an elderly woman on a fixed income (which is most of the elderly women with this problem and most of them are even widows)

(sorry for off topic above)

So as most of the time the obvious answer fixes the problem but this is not something i have ever found and i like to think of myself as an high intermediate computer user being I cant program myself anything i want but i can fix and learn most anything along with hardware issues My computer education is 3 years cisco networking Cert A+ cert and i worked for a couple years at a beverage distribution center as the assistant system admin.

So I know a bit but not a lot and right now not enough. So by no means is the above paragraph bragging. By my age I could be a DR possibly two times over if you worked hard enough, this is something that I am not even close to. All I am really trying to say is just what I would and wouldn't understand as I would not be surprised if their are any PHD's in EE or Computer science or something who would know one thousand times what I do.

(so with that out of the way)

any other ideas? I have "Hijack this" and "Look in my PC" installed in my machine that might help me help you help me (LOL) diagnose this.

My main (active) programs i use for protection is Nod 32 Anti-Virus (not smart security, my router is pretty good at being a firewall and whenever I use a software firewall I just get problems, along with that I use "Spybot - Search and Destroy".

Mainly this computer is used to stream media to an Xbox 360, a Xbox Original, and a PS2. A software firewall, even windows firewall just is a pain.

I am running windows Xp SP3 and I am willing to run diagnostics and post the results if someone asks as I am not familiar with all the things to look out for. Anything to fix this issue although seams to be nothing but an annoyance IDK what it could be doing, like sending some information somewhere. So in all I think I have said enough but i bet their may be more you may ask and i will answer.

Thank you!

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I had had this happen occasionally. Usually it is some web page that has an embedded player that plays whether or not you click play.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is there any software running in the system notification tray area that has an alert function of some sort?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. leBeatnik

First of all Thank you both for your replies. I want to run another scan today so I will post again stating if I have gained any new positives (infections) due to what I may already have.

I have checked this and if this is the case it would have to be multiple websites that trigger the same sound somehow as it happens at times when i am on a single page and it will happen with other pages loaded too, if this is the case I have been unable to identify it/them.

Thank you for pointing this out as this was one of the first things I did. First I checked my system sounds, not only did I make sure I wasn't using a theme I also checked each and every sound to make sure one was replaced with the same file name. This was not the case, so then I checked the programs I had (running) right after I hear it and this check resulted in nothing.

This sound also plays when no one is on the computer, It is still running, no screen-saver on, no programs open and not in suspended or hibernation modes. With the computer like this someone will hear it and be like "WTF was that?" and I tell them "IDK what it is/" and "IDK what is going on".

Thank you for these suggestions any more ideas to take it further. I have "Hijack This!" and "Look In My PC".
    I will post My Hijack This Log as an attachment with this post.

I hope it shows something someone knows about? I know very little about this program. So tell me if I need to "fix" any of the items on the list. I also can use "Look in My PC" Which I have never really used so someone would have to tell me what to do with it if it is needed.

In Advance I want to thank you Immensely for your help with this issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

From looking at the attached log file, it appears there are various camera, clock and multimedia programs running on the computer. Perhaps one of these performs an alert on a schedule or when some particular activity occurs?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. RudeRedDog

RudeRedDog Registered Member

I also would agree with the other posters that you dig a bit further.

It seems to me that you are a smart person. That is good as you likely have looked for the "normal" locations things like this are bound to be.

Do you have any settings say for your printer or other devices that include sound?

Is it possible that there is a hidden instance of firefox or something that is running to allow this sort of thing?

Granted you have looked at all of these already, but if were happening to me, I'd do an exhaustive search of all the sound files and video files that exist on your PC. My IT tech friend from where I used to work told me to do this when I had a similar occurrence happen.

Perhaps there is a program such as MS Money/TurboTax/or something like it that plays this little ditty.

I don't know if my post helps much, but I will say that an exhaustive and I do mean exhaustive search would be a good re-starting place.

Wish I could offer more at the moment.

If I have any ideas I'll share them in the hopes it helps you.

9. leBeatnik

Well I have looked at most of the programs I have and I have no active alarms. My next step was to use Search to search for media files, I could not find that sound.

The thing is I have Sound codecs for multimedia I never use so. Since I didn't find anything in my search what file extensions should I search for. I have already done the basics .wav .mp3. mpg .mpeg but what could it be?

For the Firefox thing I have checked my running programs I use Process Explorer and I do not Find an extra Firefox.

At this point I think this is not malicious as Nothing negative has been happening lately all normal. I just hear that sound randomly and its so odd.

I appreciate the help on this. As I wait for a reply on how I should go about searching for this, or how you would since I have tried already and failed. I will start again from the bottom and see whats up. I just wish I knew what triggers it. I don't think it is an alarm because it is so random. It may be a program sound of some kind is what I am thinking. Or its some odd VB script to play this sound when I do something. IDK.

Thanks for all your input guys and I hope to resolve this!.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

leBeatnik, here's a list of Audio File Types, graded by Popularity, that could help you search for that sound file. Each extension has additional info, once you find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.