odd - 1 folder in encrypted volume not recognized, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by chrome_sturmen, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

well i have a truecrypt volume that works fine, except as of today one particular folder is not recognized - called pictures.

now today i was trying to decide what operating system i want to use so i installed a few different operating systems, but at no time did i have this encrypted disk connected during any of the installations- i know better than that, i plugged in the external only after the install was complete.

thoughts?

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I do know that recent versions of Windows will create a "Pictures" folder for each user upon installation. Perhaps some sort of a conflict has occurred because of the folder name? It sounds far-fetched, I know, but Windows has done stranger things.

3. chrome_sturmen

well there is an option in truecrypt to check/repair filesystem of a volume - when i choose that option, i get a warning that says roughly "checking/repairing a volume may damage the data, please back-up first" but i cannot copy the folder, i get an error "cannot copy, folder is unreadable"
    should i go ahead and let windows do a repair on it while it's mounted? thankso_O

4. chrome_sturmen

i went ahead, and let windows repair the filesystem - still though the pictures folder shows up as a zero-byte folder. i used restorer ultimate , it found the folder properly and recovered the pictures for me. lucky, though i didnt think it would be a major problem, because i knew the pictures were still there, they just werent being seen, due to some sort of glitch.
    anyway thanks for the help guys!

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Glad you recovered your data. That was a strange one. Just some sort of weird data corruption, I guess. Maybe you should run some checks to see if the disk is healthy. Check the S.M.A.R.T. etc.

6. chrome_sturmen

thanks Dantz, appreciate the help. yeah i ran a check, everything reports healthy - just somehow a strange quirk i guess. i had a backup of the pictures on another hard disk anyway, but didn't feel like digging it out unless it was necessary :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.