OA - newer ver./upgrade(?)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Not sure what happened here, but Online Armor seems to have suddenly out of the blue, gotten as stupid as SpySweeper re not having heard of an app, or firing up acting as though it had been just installed (which is not the case), or wanting to do a "wizard" type scan of whole system, etc. There was also two notices about how OA would treat this or that app a certain way, because of settings in PG, (and I hadn't seen such dialog boxes before).

If this keeps up, I'll dump OA, but first... any ideas on why it may have suddenly started acting this way? (Did update/upgrade Ewido and A-Squared apps recently, but I don't think this has any bearing on the sudden OA problems). And hitherto, OA had behaved well enough, til just last night or sometime today. What to make of this?

Thanks, for ideas on this, if any.
    SG1 (Pat)

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

My version has never done anything at all like this. I know they went through a big server crash with no updates for an extended period of time but Tallemu is well on the way to recovery. Have you tried posting in their forums? They are always very responsive...:eek: :D

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Mongol,

We are recovered - there were no updates for about 15h all up :(

As for program updates a new version of the product is being finalised in our beta test area at the moment.

As far as the parent post goes - this usually indicates that OA has auto-recovered from a corrupted settings file and is reconfiguring itself.

Cheers

Mike

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Mike! Is this beta a public one?

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Not really, it's not new or exciting enough :) It's just a lot of small cosmetic fixes, minor bugfixes and a new GUI.

Mike

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Afraid to say looks like it crashed and got corrupted. A couple of weeks ago my pc froze up and i had to switch off and on again. When windows came up OA was behaving the same way. I looked in the 'Programs' and there was nothing listed. All my trusted/untrusted apps had gone. I ran the wizard and i've been giving permission's again until now it's quiet again. Real shame that there isn't an option to save a config file which contains all the settings. Yep, real shame. Anyway, looks like you'll have to start over. Sorry to say that, but if it's any consolation i know how you must be feeling...

muf

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Ok, I get the hint. This is long overdue, and I will get onto it!

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Sorry Mike, subtle is not my middle name! It was an honest observation. I've had the crash/restart thing with OA happen 3 times now in about 8 months. The config file would be a blessing. And as to the consolation thing, well to be honest lots of apps that have rules can get corruption's, it's not just OA that suffers this. I've had Zone Alarm do this numerous times. But ZA does have a config file. If you add this to OA that would be the bestest thing in the world, well except chocolate, football, beer, sex... Well a good few things anyway! :D

muf

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

To paraphrase Charley Brown's comment: "OA isn't perfect but... gosh, it's pretty perfect.":thumb:

Even so, Mike, I second the Muf's *hint*. It's bummers having to re-enter all that stuff after a reinstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.