OA free + DefenseWall?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

How well does defensewall play with OA free? Im thinking of adding it to my security setup. Are there any known conflicts? Does DW play well with SBIE? Thanks.

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

There are some problems with DefenseWall and Online Armor under Windows Vista. The problem is on OA side. That's the only known issue from your list.

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

OA free and DW work together, I used the paid version of OA together with DW on XP.
    As for a conflict, there may be one but this is between OA paid and DW running on a system with Vista.

You can read this thread, especially the second page
    http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82001

As for DW and SBIE together, some posters have used that combination or still are using them together.

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I had the issue where Defensewall runs all applications as trusted with OA paid installed on Vista.

That combo works fine on an older XP machine I have though with both products functioning as advertised with no conflicts.

Defensewall and SBIE are good partners I think. A properly configured SBIE keeps all the baddies locked away and DW keeps those untrusted files you choose to let out from causing you any problems.

Cheers

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I think this is worth to say that DW driver is not digitally signed and doesn't load at all on my Vista with and without OA.

6. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Works just fine on my Vista o/s. Works fine on my oh XP as well.

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Ilya,

Can you PM me with any indications on what the problem is. A lot of our users like DW - so - will be good to know

mike

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

How can it work not been signed ?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/drvsign.mspx

===
    Digital signatures allow administrators and end users who are installing Windows-based software to know whether a legitimate publisher has provided the software package.

In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, new features take advantage of code-signing technologies, and new requirements for security in the operating system enforce the use of digital signatures for some kinds of code.

I refuse to believe DW has not a boot start driver.

The following digital signature requirements apply for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008:

• Administrator privilege is required to install unsigned kernel-mode components. This includes device drivers, filter drivers, services, and so on.

This applies for all development phases, including pre-release product code and non-product code such as tests.

• x64 versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 require Kernel Mode Code Signing (KMCS) in order to load kernel-mode software.

• Components in the Windows Vista Protected Media Path (PMP) must be signed for PMP, and all other kernel-mode components must be signed by Microsoft for the Windows Logo Program (formerly "WHQL signature") or Kernel Mode Code Signing, in order to ensure access to premium content.

• Driver binaries that load at boot time ("boot start drivers") must contain an embedded signature, for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, as described in "Kernel-Mode Code Signing Walkthrough" on this site.

• Installation packages and self-extracting executables downloaded through Internet Explorer must be digitally signed in order to run or install.

• Digital signatures are required for hardware-related drivers and other kernel components submitted for the Windows Logo Program.

• Components must be signed by a certificate that Windows "trusts" as described in the white papers on this site.

===

9. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I do not think that i ever had an issue between DW and OA even with beta release (for both)

Regards,

MaB

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Hi Mike!

Check you corporate e-mail box...

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Simple- a driver must be signed only under x64 Windows versions. x32 are still loads unsigned drivers without problems.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I had issues as well all programs where trusted and there was empty files and registry tracks among No event logs in DW,Even when I shut down OA the problem remained.Only When I unistalled OA the problem went away.

13. Dregg Heda

Thanks for the answers guys, here are some more . Can I leave the HIPs on both products on? Or should I have one disabled? Also does RunSafering a program untrusted by DW provide extra protection?

14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I have paid version of OA and i have turn on HIPS module even though DW has HIPS too. It works for me without any issues.
    Also i have set Run Safer for my browsers.

15. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

yes..writting to autostart registry and many more

16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have the latest beta of OA installed and it is running very well along side DefenseWall. No conflicts that I have seen so far.

17. Dregg Heda

So the restrictions provided by RunSafer are greater than the restrictions placed by DW?

18. Dregg Heda

Thanks for all your replies guys! Ive gone ahead and added DW to my setup. Ive got a new thread up and running with some questions and some problems I've been having. I would appreciate it if you guys could check it out and comment on any issues you have experience with. Thanks!

19. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Can you elaborate on this? With DW anything untrusted is basically paralyzed.

20. Ilya Rabinovich

Mike and I was working together to fix up this compatibility issue. Looks like, the case is closed.

21. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

not anything..just anything that could hurt your system..for example you can even install some applications as untrusted,but if some write to places that are commonly used by malware,those will be blocked.everything works as it should,just risky actions are blocked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.