OA Free Beta Build 60 Out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Diver, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Hot off the developers system, yours to try. I am running it right now. A previous bug that prevented CPU-Z from running is squashed. IMO, this is the most interesting new security program in a while.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Another beta. Mike said final version due out. Is the GUI fixed? Just read in the OA forums that there are still problems with this version . Beta 61 in the works.

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Is there any new features or just bug fixes?
    If its changed screenies please.

4. samia

samia Registered Member

first, sorry for my english :D
    very light and secure, and a major bug fixed (for me ) no slowdown with µtorrent.
    slowdown i've encountered with other previous versions.
    great job !

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have not found a problem with it yet. CPU usage with Bitcomet in NAT traversal mode is about 65% lower than with Comodo 2.4. Perhaps others have problems with specific configurations. That happens in beta testing and when enough bugs are squashed there is a release. Personally this looks pretty good, YMMV as its beta.

I saw a post for beta 61, but it is not yet the "posted" beta. I suspect they email the link out, but last time it was an easy guess. 56 was the posted beta for at least 2 weeks until 60 came out today. Some were improvements, some were reversions.

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Everyone,

Beta build 61 hasn't been publically released because it has some bugs in there due to an error in the build process that would preclude it.

@Coolio - screenshots are the same as the current OA, except you can resize the GUI now.

Beta 62 will be built probably on Monday.

Mike

7. Dieselman

Beta,beta,beta,beta,beta...............were is the official release?

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Special for you one more time the link: http://tallemu.com/downloads.html
    Bookmark that link so you don't have to ask every time.

Nobody is forcing anyone to use a beta.

Have a nice day.

Gerard

9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I second that. Mike Nash could have released a beta as stable and then have his customers as beta testers, like some other companies do. But instead he waits untill all known bugs are solved before getting it out of beta.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Dieselman,

I'm not going to rush out the next release because you write the word beta several times in a row in a post at Wilders.

However, if you you were to double-dog-dare me, then I might just crumble and put it immediately on the update servers :D

Seriously - The official release will be made when I am satisified that releasing the product will not cause problems for end users. At the moment, the release build is stable with a few known issues - I'm not going to release the next version when I have a team of beta testers telling me that there are reproducible problems.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  11. OHM

OHM Guest

Hi,
    I'm really waiting for the version that is Vista-compatible.
    If it comes out, then I will try out the free version,
    and if I like it, then I will definately buy it.
    However, I heard that there is no plan for Vista yet. :(

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi OHM,

We definitely are looking at Vista and I am hopeful of release early this year.

Mike

13. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Vista?

14. Fuzzfas

Well, Vista compatibility isn't a bug. It is a commercial decision. Mike replied. Just think that other vendors were claiming Vista compatibility, while it wasn't real...

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Not yet. I've been avoiding installing it myself, but we do plan on getting a vista release ready soon.

16. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

also for vista 64 bit?

17. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

Without mentioning any names, i tried several
    security applications that claimed to be Vista
    compatible. Several were, only if you
    consider crashing as much as several times a day
    to be compatible.

18. Dieselman

Well I think its great that Mike and the OA team work so hard but I first tried 31 and it was good. Then I was told to use 40 to fix load times. Then so on and so forth. Each beta release more problems. There have been about 7 since 31 I think. I would like to see an option where you can tell OA what a program is and does like Comodo. If its a browser then tell it is a browser and it will have its own rule.

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Perhaps a stupid question, but can anyone give me a download link to the beta, I couldn´t find it. The reason why I want to check it out is because the GUI is now resizable, so I hope this perhaps fixes at least part of the IMO crappy GUI.

20. Dieselman

Go into there forums. Let me know if the "my website" thing is gone. I hate that feature cause it tracks all sites you have been at and cCcleaner cannot clean them out.

21. Fuzzfas

You are a demanding customer! I would be happy by one simple additional information that IMHO any firewall should give. The IP of the connection attempt, instead of "the application X.exe wants to connect to another computer". Protocol and port could be put in paid version, but the IP should be available to anyone.

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

He is very wise in doing this. :thumb: Hurry up releases ends up being Zone Alarm type problems for end users (at least in the old days which caused me to abandon it), for those of us who want good, stable FW I will wait and not add to the voices that try to pressure developers to release final before it is ready. :thumbd: to that!

Average user interested in final release but not wanting to be beta tester should follow product development in forums such as this, without adding pressure on developer to issue final release. Developer understands that competition is out there and has enough to deal with, without pressure to release final imho.

23. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Rashid,

At the top of the OA Free forum is a link to the latest beta.

Mike

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

No, it's not gone - as I have told you before, you can easily deactivate this feature with no problems at all. Unfortunately, I can't produce a customized version of OA for everyone that doesn't like one specific feature (actually, I could - but you wouldn't be able to afford it, and you'd be the only tester of your custom version)

CCleaner (or any other application) should not be able to mess with Online Armor's config. If ccleaner (for example) could clean out your trusted sites list (or untrusted sites) then so could malware. If you don't like the feature it can be trivially disabled by deselecting "Web Shield" on the general tab.

There have been 30 beta builds since 31 (we're up to build 61 now) - and usually these builds are internal. We maybe had 200 builds internally between OA1.1 and OA 2 - and usually members of the beta team see this.

The only reason why these betas are publically released at all is because there was demand for it (in particular related to torrent performance) - but a beta is still an unfinished software, out there for "real world" testing to make sure it works in lots of places.

For sure, each beta release may have problems - we're dealing in some cases with fairly tricky stuff or application conflicts - and, the case at Wilders - with enthusiasts who might decide to try 10 new releases of various products in a month (or at once).. and in others just new capabilities or internal changes not quite working properly. This is why it's still in beta, and this is why it can't be generally released until it's solved.

This way - the "everyday user" downloads a release version that is known to be stable, with a couple of issues... but if other users want to live closer to the edge (or have a specific problem) then the beta can be used.

I don't think we'll be implementing this. Comodo have their path to follow, and we have ours.

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If I may comment?

The official release is on the Online Website.

The Beta,beta.... yes, these are being released to the beta test team, and to some directly by Mike (or released by request).

Maybe some may see that a beta release every other day or so is some signs of major problems, but I see this as a check and re-check of implementation of optimization or new code. I did actively partake in the early betas of the firewall, and did find problems, but these where looked at and fixed. I unfortunately do not have (currently) the time to fully partake in such now, but do still install various builds and report any problems I find, and I can say that I see vast improvement between the builds I look at.

I do understand the user type (easy config/ minimal popup~ that anyone can use) that OA firewall is being directed toward, and I personally find it excellent for this.

Just my opinion/comment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.