O.S is down need a free AV boot disk to check for Viruses

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by main, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. main

main Guest

My computer is down, need starting AV disk, prefer free though.

Need this very badly and can't find no links at all.

thank you

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

F-Prot for DOS is good and free (assuming your system is not NTSF). Follow these instructions: http://www.claymania.com/f-prot.html

tECHNODROME

3. radicalb21

radicalb21 Registered Member

I would go to www.centralcommand.com and go to download section listed on the main page. Select rescue disk software in either a bootable CD ISO image or floppy disk. Once you have download that then download the updated vdf file so the virus definitions are up to date. Also this works with NTFS as well as FAT32. Any questions or problems please email me from my link in my profile.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

5. controler

controler Guest

nother one

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

fits on floppy and covers alot a new nasties.

con

6. main event

main event Guest

thanks guys, needed this.

I'm trying it out right now to see if this is the answer.

Here is problem:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apppears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manuufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If the problems continues , disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable compontents, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information
    ***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X823D7BB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

THE FIX:

Boot from the CD to the Recovery Console

Type: chkdsk /r (and wait FOREVER)
    Type: fixboot
    Type: exit

Chkdsk /r stops halfway though, fixboot is a valid command and everything else isn't able to boot, not even in safe mood.

I've narrowed it down to either....

1. A virus
    2. The hard drive is bad

I'm pulling apart the hard drive and downloading a diagnostic tool soon so I'll get some answers tonight for sure.

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hmm. Either way--not good. At minimum, you're probably looking at a wipe and reinstall. :doubt:

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.