O&O DiskImage and the easy way to get a WinPE

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Robin A., Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In the latest version of O&O DiskImage (7.0.98 ), is possible to create a 64-bit WinPE 3.0 with the program in a very straightforward way, using Windows 7 and the WinRE.

Just install the program and use a “Tools” option. It´s a two-step process, nothing else to download or install. It the easiest way to create a WinPE that I know of.

From the User´s Guide: “The bootable media is created from the current operating system. If you have a 64-bit operating system, a 64-bit boot disk is created. With the help of such a 64-bit boot media, images from GPT hard disks can be restored onto UEFI / EFI systems, for example.”

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Interesting to know. Thanks.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

O&O DiskImage is a nice program. I would possibly switch back to it if they found a way to speed up the differential backups. Until then Acronis is pulling it off without any problems.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed i really actually like it but its incremental / differential backup time is horrible. usually taking longer than the original... this is what everyone will have to do soon though because microsoft is pulling the winpe soon...

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

No way I am going to upgrade this crapware and pay for v7. Paid for both v5 and v6, and both of them didn't have WinPE. Moved away from this crapware, after paying money for it.

Best regards,

6. Robin A.

All the previous versions of DI had a WinPE available. It was a separate download, available after buying the program.

In fact, DI had a WinPE before many other image software vendors. What they have never had, AFAIK, is a Linux-based boot disk.

7. aladdin

That is not true. Version 6 had a beta WinPE and that was the end of it. As the program was updated, the WinPE was not updated.

Here is a thread in which you participated and should jog your memory:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2106486#post2106486

Best regards,

8. aladdin

9. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I've used O&O for a long time and it always came with a WinPE CD. The new version (v7) no longer does but allows you to build one. This is due to Microsoft's retirement of the WinPE setup. However, previous versions always had an .iso you dowload and burn.

As for newer versions, I always contacted support when a new version came out (like 6.0 to 6.5) and they always provided me with a new .iso download.

10. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i was fairly impressed with the program itself but was put off by the 3 startup services that were started with windows. dont know if thats changed with the latest version.

11. aladdin

I am still waiting for your response?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. aladdin

13. zfactor

i kill those off when i use it so unless you are running it on a schedule you really dont need those. one is for the tray icon even pointless if you ask me. but if you like it you can stop those from running without killing the program

14. treehouse786

hi Z, i tried just that around a year and a half ago but i got error messages when i tried to open the program.

Drive Image XML is complementing Active@ just fine right now, i will wait for DIXML to fail me before trying O&O again :thumb:

15. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Is there any overall slowdown with the incremental service running?

16. zfactor

doesnt dixml require .net though? many people refuse to use programs which require it. i have dropped active @ now after this past customer service experience was just awful.

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I am not going to use this if i then have to download a further 1.7gb of data to create a WINpe boot cd.Macrium reflect free is the same,it will not see my external drive in the linux environment and proposed i download the aforementioned data.:isay: :thumbd:

18. zfactor

who said you would have to download that?? “The bootable media is created from the current operating system."

19. The Red Moon

ive created the boot cd before with macrium reflect and it didnt have the winpe only linux.

20. Robin A.

O&O Disk Image v. 7.x creates the boot medium from the program installed in Windows, using the WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment). The WinRE must be available and functional for this procedure to work. It´s not necessary to download anything.

21. The Red Moon

Thanks and im assuming this will work also with the laplink imaging program too as it would appear that is a clone.o_O

22. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Laplink has a downloadable Boot Cd.

23. Robin A.

It only works in the latest 7.x version, AFAIK.

24. The Red Moon

Ive just gathered that laplink requires a further download to be able to restore anything.:eek:
    Im going to stick with the windows built in imaging as i know this restores without issue and does not require further downloading to accomplish the feat.
    Thanks.

25. treehouse786

shame about active@, they have always responded within 24 hours with my last 25~ queries.

i am not sure why people dont install programs which require .net, never had a problem .net. not even sure if DIXML even requires .net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.