O&O DiskImage 6 BETA

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by napoleon1815, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Not sure if anyone is interested in signing up for O&O DiskImage 6 beta...I've used it enough to sign up (but not install on any of my important systems). Figured I would pass this along in case anyone wants to do it.

"O&O Software
    An update for the ongoing O&O DiskImage 6 (BETA) test is now available. Registered beta testers will receive the new download link via e-mail.

It's now possible with the new boot media wizard, O&O BuildPE, to generate your own boot media (on CD-R, USB stick or similar storage media), to recover system partition images.

You haven't registered yet for our beta test? There is still a small amount of slots available. Register now at http://www.oo-software.com/en/​beta/DiskImage6/ , and be an active part in the development of the latest version of our imaging solution O&O DiskImage 6!"

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The link goes to a 404 page. I use O&O DiskImage but don't know how much I want to play with a beta. Good they are finally going to let people create their own bootable media instead of only giving a download link at purchase time. It may cut back on piracy but it likely also cuts back on sales.

3. napoleon1815

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

First impressions.

Same product in a new, better package.

The basic price doesn´t include the WinPE. The user can either build his own or buy separately the pre-built WinPE (Start Disc).

To build the WinPE, it is necessary to install the Windows product, download the 106 MB BuildPE and the 1.7 GB Windows AIK, and follow the instructions.

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Robin,

Can you please post the link for pricing?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

KOR!

6. napoleon1815

KOR,

It's not out yet, but I am guessing it will initially go for less than ~$30 USD...again, GUESSING maybe ~$20 for previous owners. I am not sure when it's even coming out...I hope soon!

7. napoleon1815

Thanks for checking it out Robin. I wasn't able to last night.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is fast, fast and fast. The image was bigger by about 2GB, in comparsion to Macrium Reflect, IWF and Active@, but the time to create image was less than half. It came out around less than 5 minutes, where as others clocked around 10 minutes.

The ISO has the same problem as version 5, that it doesn't boot and require license, unless it is built by DVD and/or USB is built by the WinPE builder. The ISO does contain the license information, but at what level/where this information is to kept on the hard drive and/or XBoot USB.

Best regards,

KOR!

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Update

Correction: the AIK size is 1.23 GB, not 1.7 GB.

I downloaded the new beta (6.0.363), and built the WinPE. No problem, the burned disc worked in the first try.

But I was unable to load the USB 3.0 drivers (two drivers that must be loaded in a particular order). I tried first when building the WinPE, then "in real time" after I booted with it. Both methods failed. It seems it is only possible to load the drivers using DISM to modifiy the BOOT.WIN image after creating it.

I created an image in an external disc connected to a USB 2.0 port, using default compression. The operation was not particularly fast (7:12 min), and the verification was slow (9:25 min). The image size was 11.6 GB, larger than the images I normally create with SP or Paragon.

Nothing special in this new version. The GUI is better, but still has problems, like the odd location of the options icon.

10. napoleon1815

Thanks for all the work Robin A. I was hoping this tool would be a lot better, and it still might in its final release, but right now it's looking so-so. This is one of those tools I really want to like I guess. :)

11. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

wow, thanks for that info, i'll be giving this a miss then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.