O&O Defrag 16 Released Today

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by napoleon1815, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Has anyone tried it? I found the last couple of versions slowed my machine to a crawl with the background defragging.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Excellent piece of software.As far as i remember it only performs a idle defrag.
    I disabled the service and the tray.exe when using it.Im using defraggler at the moment.:thumb: :thumb:

4. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I use it (not v16 yet as it just came out). I have background defragging off and only run a Complete defrag manually once a month or two...even then it's only 4-5% defragged.

5. Isso

Isso Developer

I used to research the file movement algorithms of a number of top defragmenters back in 2005, and at that time O&O had the most polished implementation amongst competitors, working much better than PerfectDisk and Diskeeper.

I never tried newer versions, I suspect it might become a bloatware like lot of other brilliant soft.

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I use version 15 and like the TRIM functionality it provides for XP. After playing around with 16 in a VM, I think I'll stay with 15.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

What metrics did you use to compare them ?

8. Isso

Isso Developer

Nick,

I started designing UltimateDefrag at that time, and I was interested in defragmentation algorithms, specifically in single pass defragmentation and free space consolidation. There was no information on the internet, so I went ahead and started debugging existing solutions to see what they are doing.

O&O basically produced the best file layout (I mean minimum file and free space fragmentation) with the least number of file I/O operations.

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Cool, cheers.

One of the reasons I have always liked defrag tools that sensibly ignore large fragments is that it hugely reduces the defrag time (and I/O) for only minimal (if any) performance losses on normal desktop activities.

Cheer,s Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.