O&O Defrag 16 Released Today

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by napoleon1815, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Has anyone tried it? I found the last couple of versions slowed my machine to a crawl with the background defragging.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Excellent piece of software.As far as i remember it only performs a idle defrag.
    I disabled the service and the tray.exe when using it.Im using defraggler at the moment.:thumb: :thumb:

4. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I use it (not v16 yet as it just came out). I have background defragging off and only run a Complete defrag manually once a month or two...even then it's only 4-5% defragged.

5. Isso

Isso Developer

I used to research the file movement algorithms of a number of top defragmenters back in 2005, and at that time O&O had the most polished implementation amongst competitors, working much better than PerfectDisk and Diskeeper.

I never tried newer versions, I suspect it might become a bloatware like lot of other brilliant soft.

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I use version 15 and like the TRIM functionality it provides for XP. After playing around with 16 in a VM, I think I'll stay with 15.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

What metrics did you use to compare them ?

8. Isso

Isso Developer

Nick,

I started designing UltimateDefrag at that time, and I was interested in defragmentation algorithms, specifically in single pass defragmentation and free space consolidation. There was no information on the internet, so I went ahead and started debugging existing solutions to see what they are doing.

O&O basically produced the best file layout (I mean minimum file and free space fragmentation) with the least number of file I/O operations.

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Cool, cheers.

One of the reasons I have always liked defrag tools that sensibly ignore large fragments is that it hugely reduces the defrag time (and I/O) for only minimal (if any) performance losses on normal desktop activities.

Cheer,s Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.