NVIDIA ForceWare - Windows 2000/XP - version 77.72 (June 22, 2005)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firecat, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

A new version of Forceware drivers has been released by NVIDIA. This driver was updated on June 23, 2005 to add WHQL certification. Features:

-Updated June 23, 2005 (Drivers are now WHQL certified)
    -Added support for GeForce 6200 AGP and GeForce 7800GTX (G70)
    -Improved SLI performance and broader SLI validation and optimizations for the latest games
    -Compatible with Intel and AMD dual core CPUs
    -New HDTV Display Setup Wizard with preview mode
    -Fullscreen HDTV underscan control panel lets users optimize their high definition television for Windows desktops
    -Allows users to keep the old application profiles when the driver is updated
    -Better TurboCache performance
    -Support for inverse 2-2 pulldown detection and correction when using the the PureVideo Decoder
    -More control when creating custom timings for digital flat panels
    -nView Desktop Manager support during Windows Remote Desktop sessions

Get it here:

US English:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.72/77.72_win2kxp_english_whql.exe

International:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/77.72/77.72_win2kxp_international_whql.exe

2. Arup

Arup Guest

It was bound to happen, they are taking off support for older cards, my GeForce DDR is no longer supported.

3. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Two questions guys...

1. If you two have already checked the nVidia's download site - do you maybe know if my GeForce4 MX 440 (ASUS V8170 DDR, 64 MB) graphic card is still compatible with this latest version of display drivers ??

2. Is it possible to upgrade from my current version of nVidia ForceWare drivers to the newest 77.72 version without uninstalling the old ones first, rebooting etc ?? Btw., the original file name of the installation package of my current 71.89 version is 71.89_win2kxp_english.exe

cheers both, satyr

4. Arup

Arup Guest

The GeForce MX 440 is still listed and I have just installed the driver as an upgrade over the previous version 71.xx on my system with a ASUS Ge Force 440MX card.

5. Firecat

Maybe a new driver will support these cards......or maybe, just maybe I can post a modded INF file....

A lot of users are going to get angry at this, these products are not supported with the latest drivers:

Riva TNT2 series
    Vanta Series
    GeForce 256/GeForce DDR
    GeForce2 GTS/Pro/Ti/Ultra
    Quadro
    Quadro2 Pro
    Quadro2 EX

6. stalker

Oh and yes, one more thing...

Can you please tell me into which directory I am supposed to install them ??

I installed the currently installed ones into the directory below - the location that I picked during the installation-procedure was D:\WINDOWS\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\, i.e.but drivers and related files are located in both NVIDIA\ and Win2KXP\ directories. Note that it's not the default location, also I didn't choose to use the sub-directory named by driver-version number (I added an example, see the last/third line):

D:\WINDOWS\NVIDIA\
    D:\WINDOWS\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\
    D:\WINDOWS\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\71.89

Thanks all for replies, stalker

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Stalker,

You can use any folder, nvidia decompresses the setup files to install the drivers and when they are done, that folder can be deleted without any problems.

Firecat,

Would appreciate if you can post the modded inf file or else I was thinking of putting Omega drivers on the GeForce DDR.

8. stalker

No, no Arup - I am not interested in the location of where setup files are extracted to and run from, i.e. I rather need to know about the location of actual drivers after they are being installed.

Thanks for the reply anyway, stalker

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  9. Firecat

I have not yet downloaded the new NVIDIA drivers, I'll post a modded INF when I do download it. :)

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Stalker,

Depending on the OS you are running, it will go where your system files are installed, for instance in Win2K, it would go to WINNT folder, most likely the system32 folder in there, you can't change anything in that.

11. stalker

Hum, it seems I write confusingly :rolleyes:...

As mentioned in one of my posts above, I simply need to know if I need to choose the same path in the setup wizard (see that posts for paths), as current drivers version 71.89 are located. Also I am asking this, because I didn't use the default path (as "offered" by setup wizard)

If the answer is yes, I guess that the old drivers would be over-written, in other words "updated". I am just not sure if this is recommended in such a "low-level" thing as graphic card's drivers are. And also, I am somehow used to, to first uninstall such software, rather than upgrading/updating it. Do you guys maybe know what's nVidia's recommendation on this ??

cheers, stalker

12. Arup

Arup Guest

By default nvidia overwrites the files, however, I prefer uninstalling the older version, rebooting and then installing the new drivers.

13. stalker

Oh thanks Arup, so I will do the same then - it's like I usually do anyways...

cheers, stalker

14. Firecat

Alright guys, Modded INF is up. Please keep in mind that this is the first time I am modding the INF myself, so feel free to report comments or bugs, and do tell me whether it works fine. Thank you :)

In this modded INF I have hopefully added support for GeForce1 and GeForce2. Keep in mind that you may lose the WHQL stamp when you use this INF.

Instructions for use:

1)Extract the setup file for ForceWare 77.72 to the folder of your choice.
    2)Go to the folder where you extracted the NVIDIA drivers.
    3)Here there will be a file named "nv4_disp.inf"
    4)Replace this file with the modded INF in the download link below (make a backup of the existing file of you wish)
    5)Then install the drivers and see if it works.

Download here:
    http://download.venus.come2store.com/Accelerate/nv4_disp.inf

15. Firecat

Not sure about whether you can extract over the location of the older drivers, but NVIDIA does recommend to remove all traces of the old driver before installing the new one. :)

16. stalker

Thanks for the effort Firecat, i.e. thanks much for modding the .inf file ...

As I already said in one of my posts above, I am used to and in fact "religiously devoted" --:D, to first uninstall such "low-level" software (as graphic card's drivers are), rather than upgrading/updating it. I guess that I was just confused, especially because of some "forward and backward compatibility with software drivers", that I've seen it mentioned somewhere, i.e. probably I've read it on NVIDIA's drivers page (but the site is currently off-line, so I can't check it), but also because of the following sentence in the original post in this thread: "-Allows users to keep the old application profiles when the driver is updated"

cheers, satyr

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.