Nvidia Firewall a problem ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Huwge, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I'm awaiting delivery of a new PC. It has an Nvidia motherboard with their own firewall. All the reviews I've read have been very scathing about the FW. Is it going to cause any problems using another like Netveda, Outpost etc, and does anyone know if I will have to 'uninstall' the Nvidia one first ?

Thanks in advance

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My friend was using it for a little while. The first install didn't work very well, it caused CPU spikes every few seconds, but then he found an update which worked quite well. Then he reformatted and it started w/ the CPU spiking again, even with the update. His impression was that the software was not fully "mature" yet. I'd say to give it a try, however.. it does work just fine for many people, and when it does it's pretty nice and uses very little resources. My friend has had no problems uninstalling it, and yes you can use another firewall if it doesn't work out for you.

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Huwge,

I've been running Outpost Pro along with an active nForce 3 firewall (using the Apache web interface) for over six months with no issues. I have not had a chance to play with the nForce 4/ActiveArmor combo yet.

Nick

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Isnt it supposed to be a hardware firewall and shouldnt affect the CPU ?

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

It is a hardware firewall. In my case, running a nForce 3 Ultra, there is no software component (and the associated CPU burden) and it operates independently of your OS. You can run the Apache service continuously (I don't) or just start the service when you want to configure or monitor activity. It is actually not much different than a router in terms of performance and control.

Nick

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Be aware also that Nvidia's firewall will only work with the network connections on the motherboard - traffic through dial-up and network interface cards will not be covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.