Number of files scanned

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

when I scan my system (30 GB HDD) these are the number of scanned files of each AV that I have:
    AVG6 Free: about 64000 files
    Antivir PE: about 110000 files
    avast4 / eTrust promo : about 119000 files

does this really matter ? scanning more files does it mean more protection? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

No the various av companies count differently some will count a compressed file with multiple entries as one file while some will count all entries in a file causing it to look like it scanned more when in reality it doesn;t. This is a simplified explanation just to keep the reply short.

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Yup. Bigc is right.

The same applies to the virus count.

tECHNODROME

4. minacross

minacross Registered Member

thanx guys :D

5. eda

eda AV Expert

I believe that there is a little difference between the number of "scanned files" and the "number of known viruses".

1. I don't know about any antivirus, which doesn't increment the number of scanned files in the moment when it open the new one. The higher number means that the AV scanned more files! The most obvious reason for it is simple - better support for archives! And deeper look inside archive means better protection!

2. The number of "known" viruses depends on the counting virus families as one virus or maybe as few thousands of the individual viruses and there is difference in the point of view of AV manufactures.

Maybe it will be of little help.

Eduard

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Yes and No. If you take for example Command Antivirus (which has a pretty decent archive support) and scan archived file (i.e. contains 1000 files inside archive) it will report\count only 1 file scanned. avast! or KAV will report 1000 files in this case.
    Its entirely different story if Antivirus does not support specific archive. ;)

tECHNODROME

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.