Number of Files Scanned

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Mattroni, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattroni

Mattroni Guest

There are over 15,000 files on my friend's computer and she downloaded the trial version of TDS-3 and updated the two files needed from the website to have the latest files. When we do a full system scan on her computer TDS only scans 8700 files. Why doesn't it scan all 15,000 files? I'm worried it might be missing Trojans because it's not scanning all the files or is this how it's supposed to work (only scanning certain files-please explain). (I have the registered version and update the files each time I run TDS-3 and the same thing happens to me ... only scans about 30,000 files on my computer with about 40,000 files on it). TIA for any help you can give.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Mattroni and welcome!
    In the scan console did you check all options and hunting for everything existing?
    Certainly these days with new nasties on the run all over internet i would have all options checked and the wormslider on highest sensitivity! And have full system scans more frequent.
    TXT files can't contain running code so no worries about those, to start with.
    In TDS-4 we will have email scanning too, among others.
    Does this bring you closer to the total amount?

I do occasional online scans in between as a second opinion and i might see enormous numbers of scanned files, but there are missed nasties and false alarms between the others. Files others are alarming on and TDS not i always submit to Gavin for his opinion and they were false indeed or viruscode which doesn't belong to TDS. Always submit anything TDS finds "suspicious" "possible ...<somesting>.." or you find suspicious yourself for some reason to submit@diamondcs.com.au for Gavin's opinion, better be safe then sorry.

3. Mattroni

Mattroni Guest

My computer only has 338 *.txt files on it and my friend's computer only has 90 on it, so that doesn't bring me anywhere near the total.

I have all the options checked for scanning and do scans frequently. What is "wormslider?" I have Wormguard but it doesn't seem to have a high setting.

Should I reformat and start from scratch?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No, no reinstall nor reformatting, wait for explanation of DCS. How many of your files are actually executables, com, bat files?

In the scan console on the second tab bottom right is the sensitivity slider: all to the right is highest sensitivity for worms etc. Make sure you have all scanoptions checked.

5. VP

VP Guest

The wormslider has been set all the way over to the highest sensitivity.

36216 total files on computer, TDS scanned 28,265 files.
    *.exe = 1564
    *.com = 74
    *.bat = 290
    *.txt = 338

Should I check any other file types? Thanks for your help so far!

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Could give some insight; maybe not all is adding up the counters?

7. mattroni

mattroni Guest

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm still not adding up to nearly the total file amount on my computer.

8. mattroni

mattroni Guest

Sorry, I meant to put this in the last reply, I couldn't edit it.

My Norton Antivirus is scanning almost all the files on my computer. Shouldn't TDS be doing the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.