ntuser.dat & ntuser.dat log

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Prushka, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prushka

Prushka Registered Member

Is internet content added to the ntuser.dat file while browsing the internet, on closing IE, on shut down, or not at all.

I was viewing the ntuser.dat file in wordpad (with word wrap)
    Talk about eye strain.
    I noticed some 200 fractual programs (listed by name), which I did some 2 years ago, including the program used to create them and graphic programs used alter them, and program viewers like Irfan view,etc.

I don't think it is possible for a program like MRU blaster to deal with this issue, although I was able to restore the ntuser.dat & ntuser.dat log to default.

Details available on request

2. banks

banks Guest

how did you do this

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I know www.jetico.com has a program that deals with this. It even has the ability to encrypt it.

4. Analyst502

Analyst502 Registered Member

Any luck on this? I'm trying to clean my NTUSER.DAT file and keep running into dead-ends. Any help is appreciated

5. jrebeiro

jrebeiro Guest

Why are you loading the file in notepad... you risk possible corruption. Load the hive using regedit or regedt32.

6. ZBob

ZBob Guest

Can somone please tell me what the ntuser.dat is because i think somone was messing with mine. I wanted to know what they could do with it.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Zbob

Unless I am mistaken this file is your registry. I would heed the caution above about opening with anything but regedit or some appropriate other registry editor. Be careful.

Pete

8. Cheeky

Cheeky Guest

yeh ive been lookin in mine too and i have the signature Dirty is this right cus every time i hav a problem with spyware or somethin similar this name seems to crop up !! Seems they are accessin my administrator windows settings files!

9. Nihil

Nihil Guest

ntuser.dat is a registry hive file that loads as HKEY_CURRENT_USER when a user logs on. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER (ntuser.dat) contains the user profile for the user who is currently logged on to the computer. The user profile includes environment variables, personal program groups, desktop settings, network connections, printers, and application preferences.

You can edit HKEY_CURRENT_USER of other users by loading this hive under HKEY_USERS (you must log on as administrator to edit this hive).

10. Roozter

Roozter Guest

What if I deleted these two files and I am on a Novell LAN?

11. Roozter

Roozter Guest

What if I deleted these two files and I am on a Novell LAN?

12. kmot

kmot Guest

what is ntuser.dat & utnser.dat log?

What does they do?

13. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Did you read the thread?

14. Call me Rob

Call me Rob Guest

ntuserdat is the registry protion HKEY_Current_User that when logging off is
    transformed into NTUserdat. and updated into your profile. Nd ofcourse is loaded into the registry while logging on :)

to clean it .. Use regedit and 'clean' YOUR Hkey_Current_user hive :)

simple ..(ahum :-s)

15. Togg

Togg Registered Member

You may be seeing something called User Assist files which, apparently, store lots of useless looking information in the Registry.

Have a look at this article; http://www.utdallas.edu/~jeremy.bryan.smith/ You can d/l the authors' User Assist Spy program from the link further down the page if you're interested.

MRU Blaster and CCleaner appear to delete/clean these files, and I'm sure that there are lots of other programs that will deal with them.

If you're really adventurous you could try the script in the article, but I wouldn't!

16. Germancho

Germancho Guest

Well, I untimely turned my computer off, and now it cannot load my profile, I checked the systemlog and apparently something happened that corrupted ntuser.dat (it's there, but it can't find it) and it opens a temporary profile each time I log in as an admin. Is there a way to repair it or to copy it from somewhere else? How do I use regedit to repair it?

17. tjeM

tjeM Guest

Is the login password also stored in ntuser.dat ?
    Or is that stored somewhere else just for knowing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.