ntp protocol help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceni60, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Hi, my computer lost some time either yesterday or today. I asked about it here, however I want to ask about this network bit here because I know alot of you don't browse that part (software & services) of Wilders much, if at all (it's not because of me is it :'( :D )

As I said, I tried to synchronise the clock with a time server, but forgot to make a note of the time before I started so i'm not sure if it worked.

The protocol used seems to be NTP, of which i no nothing :( could someone have a look at this capture I made and tell me whether it looks like it worked, and synchronised my clock with the time server? thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK i thought about this problem for a long, long time and decided to put the clock forward by an hour then try the synchronisation. it worked and the clock's time was corrected :cool:

aren't i clever? what do you mean no?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's only a clock ... :)
    Mrk

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you mean the cmos battery o_O i'm sure i remember my teacher mentioning something about kick-starting the BIOS. i know it does more then just power the clock anyway.

or do you mean the ntp protocol? it's difficult to understand what's happening in a capture when you aren't familar with the workings of a protocol.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    All I mean you should not get so upset about 5 minutes here and there.
    As to cmos dying on you? Never had a problem with a computer ever. I have and work on pcs that are 8 years old, and no problem with anything - except being old and slow POSes.
    Mrk

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

interesting, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.