ntp protocol help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iceni60, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Hi, my computer lost some time either yesterday or today. I asked about it here, however I want to ask about this network bit here because I know alot of you don't browse that part (software & services) of Wilders much, if at all (it's not because of me is it :'( :D )

As I said, I tried to synchronise the clock with a time server, but forgot to make a note of the time before I started so i'm not sure if it worked.

The protocol used seems to be NTP, of which i no nothing :( could someone have a look at this capture I made and tell me whether it looks like it worked, and synchronised my clock with the time server? thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK i thought about this problem for a long, long time and decided to put the clock forward by an hour then try the synchronisation. it worked and the clock's time was corrected :cool:

aren't i clever? what do you mean no?

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's only a clock ... :)
    Mrk

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you mean the cmos battery o_O i'm sure i remember my teacher mentioning something about kick-starting the BIOS. i know it does more then just power the clock anyway.

or do you mean the ntp protocol? it's difficult to understand what's happening in a capture when you aren't familar with the workings of a protocol.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    All I mean you should not get so upset about 5 minutes here and there.
    As to cmos dying on you? Never had a problem with a computer ever. I have and work on pcs that are 8 years old, and no problem with anything - except being old and slow POSes.
    Mrk

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

interesting, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.