ntoskrnl.exe... unknown for MS?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Macstorm, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi All,

Just hours ago Windows Defender (Windows 8 ) "detected" and asked for my permission to send to Microsoft for analysis the "unknown to them" system file "ntoskrnl.exe" (NT kernel & system type) located at C:\Windows\System32. Needless to say this is way strange since it is a system file, however on the file properties it says it was created just yesterday Feb.12th so I thought it's because the latest MS updates installed yesterday. HitmanPro, Avira, Kaspersky TDSSKiller and F-Secure didn't find anything. Is it something to be concerned about? Thanks.

2. SpousalMilk

SpousalMilk Registered Member

Yeah, I think it's from the Windows Updates that day. As long as it's digitally signed by Microsoft, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On my Win 8 64 bit system, I also have ntoskrnl.exe at C:\Windows\System32 that says it was created on Tuesday, ‎February ‎12, ‎2013, ‏‎4:27:19 PM

SHA-1 file hash is 5AD42FBF655A0034D502AB17FDA2ACCBECC747D2
    Windows Defender isn't giving any prompts though.

3. Macstorm

Thanks for your input. I think so as well, I haven't received reply from MS's MPC so far, so I'll assume it was a WD hiccup because of the newest updates.

What concerned me a bit was the WD message saying that system app was not recognized and prompted me to have it sent to them for analysis :blink:

4. ComputerSaysNo

ComputerSaysNo Registered Member

This ntoskrnl.exe hooks into everything, kernal level too. I'm using PChunter and I'm seeing all kinds of hooks.

What is it?

5. Macstorm

According to Wikipedia:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.