ntoskrnl.exe... unknown for MS?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Macstorm, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi All,

Just hours ago Windows Defender (Windows 8 ) "detected" and asked for my permission to send to Microsoft for analysis the "unknown to them" system file "ntoskrnl.exe" (NT kernel & system type) located at C:\Windows\System32. Needless to say this is way strange since it is a system file, however on the file properties it says it was created just yesterday Feb.12th so I thought it's because the latest MS updates installed yesterday. HitmanPro, Avira, Kaspersky TDSSKiller and F-Secure didn't find anything. Is it something to be concerned about? Thanks.

2. SpousalMilk

SpousalMilk Registered Member

Yeah, I think it's from the Windows Updates that day. As long as it's digitally signed by Microsoft, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On my Win 8 64 bit system, I also have ntoskrnl.exe at C:\Windows\System32 that says it was created on Tuesday, ‎February ‎12, ‎2013, ‏‎4:27:19 PM

SHA-1 file hash is 5AD42FBF655A0034D502AB17FDA2ACCBECC747D2
    Windows Defender isn't giving any prompts though.

3. Macstorm

Thanks for your input. I think so as well, I haven't received reply from MS's MPC so far, so I'll assume it was a WD hiccup because of the newest updates.

What concerned me a bit was the WD message saying that system app was not recognized and prompted me to have it sent to them for analysis :blink:

4. This ntoskrnl.exe hooks into everything, kernal level too. I'm using PChunter and I'm seeing all kinds of hooks.

What is it?

5. Macstorm

According to Wikipedia:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.