NTFS Permissions Tools

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Nov 25, 2016.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    yesterday after an headache, i tried this progam , it's 100% portable and it's clean
    i found on portable freeware colletion
    it's NTFS Permissions Tools , in 2 version 64bit and 32bit

http://dbcstudio.net/software/npt/main.html

maybe somebody can find it helpful!
    or maybe sombody used it
    thanks

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

nothing i cant do with windows and much better. sorry, screwing on rights is nothing for beginners or regular usage - its exceptional and in regular way there is NO need.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i know but for many users could be useful for example novice users

4. guest

guest Guest

Fiddling around with icacls.exe on the console is a pain.
    With this tool it's much simpler, especially if permissions has to be changed on a regular basis.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting, but why would anyone need this type of tool? I have never understood the need to change permissions.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Good example. Tell me if your system has any imaging artificts. They are in the system volume information folders.

7. guest

guest Guest

a) Remove execution-rights from user-folders
    b) Restrict read-rights for your important data
    c) If you need access to: c:\System Volume Information\ change permissions accordingly with a mouse-click
    d) User A can only read files from a specific directory, User B can read+write, User C+D have no permissions to look into the directory.
    ... and a lot more can be done with changing of permissions.

8. Great examples @mood

Deny Execute ACL
    I have set a deny execute / traverse folder for everyone in all User folders, except my AppData temp folder, together with my SRP basic user allows me to install programs with right click run as Admin from my Temp folder. On top of that UAC only allows signed programs to run elecated (run as admin). Solid setup and forget security, which has been running without issues or update fsailures since I had got some Vista Business licenses.

Remove Write ACL rights for users from an old laptop harddisk which I use as a quick backup (I run nightly backups to NAS). This means only programs running elevated (as Admin) are allowed to write to this quick backup disk.

9. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Permissions (ACLs) are fundamental to computer security regardless of the OS. Setting them to enhance security and using a limited account is far more effective many bloated security apps. NTFS permissions are overly complicated and I can see the need for an app to simplify setting them. Not to mention that the default Windows permissions are weak to begin with and can be easily enhanced by a few simple tweaks like removing execution rights from user folders for non adminsitrators. The Xp system I'm using now has had the default MS ACLs completely reset and is not only more secure, but more stable. Default ACLs have improved with newer versions of Windows but there are still gaping holes that can be easily plugged by resetting the permissions on a few folders.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, I see. That's stuff that I never do.

That's why I chose to use non-bloated security tools, messing around with NTFS permissions doesn't sound like a fun job.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.