NTFS not mountable with version 8 on 10.6.4(64bit)

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by rmengelers, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmengelers

rmengelers Registered Member

Hello,

My problem is like this.
    I have installed NTFS for mac version 8.
    I'm running snow leopard in 64bit (10.6.4) in this mode no NTFS-disk mounts.
    In diskutility the disk is visible but no mount is possible!
    When I switch to 32bit mode the same NTFS-disk mounts correctly and I can do everthing.

What can be the problem?

Best regards,
    Ron o_O

2. chazh

chazh Registered Member

You are not alone. I too have the same, identical issues. Works in 32-bit kernel mode (read and write), but not 64-bit, 10.6.4, yada, yada, yada.

I may have some things to add. I have tried using NTFS-3G in the past as well. I did use the uninstall process in the Pref Pane for NTFS-3G, and I went searching the system folders and found that it appears to have removed itself, other than a couple of pref files. It also removed ntfsprogs (Mac Port). I also "removed" FUSE through it's Pref Pane, but I did not delve into this, I think it removes itself relatively completely, but not the actual Pref Pane itself, allowing you to reinstall later, if you chose to. Yep, repaired premissions, and removed NTFS-3G, just to be sure.

Now NTFS-3G is 32-bit only, so I'm not sure if something is lingering from that that is taken control of NTFS volumes, but I can't find any evidence of it. Unless, someone more brilliant than I knows what else this could be, I'm a bit dumbfounded.o_O

Anyone have insights to this issue? I will buy it if it works in 64-bit mode, but so far this is the second software driver I have been told works in 64-bit mode, but doesn't (the other was a Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter, and it didn't work on their test machine in 64-bit mode, either, go figure).

Please inform, thanks!

3. chazh

chazh Registered Member

Got a potential solution, Ron, it worked for me.

I read a bit more, and my issue was covered in a prior thread, sorry.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=259171&highlight=64-bit

Here's how it worked for me. I had a prior NTFS for Mac version, 6.5, that I removed a long time ago. But it didn't fully remove itself, it left a "residual" folder that should be removed.

Here's how to do it.

Open a Finder window, and starting from the root folder of your Mac OS X 10.6.x bootup drive, following this path:

System -> Library -> Filesystems

In the Filesystems folder if you find something called "ufsd.fs", put it in the trash (you will have to authenticate with an Admin user, do not Empty Trash immediately, you can do that later when you know it's working). Also, read the other post above, make sure you don't have some of the other folders that are not necessary in Filesystems (note: ntfs.fs, and ufsd_NTFS.fs are required, do NOT remove these!). And then restart in 64-bit kernel mode.

Let me know if that works for you!

Take care,

Chaz;)

4. rmengelers

rmengelers Registered Member

Chaz,

Many Thanks.

It works also for me !!!

Best regards,
    Ron:D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.