NTFS: How to block directory viewing w/o admin pass?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by floepie, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floepie

floepie Registered Member

OK, it seems I've tried virtually every combination I can think of to get this to work. I'm trying to do something seemingly very simple, but it may indeed not be possible.

I run a daily user account, and I would like to block the user from opening/viewing a particular folder's contents without an admin's password. I can get it to prompt me for an admin's user/pass, however, even after I enter the proper credentials, I still cannot view the folder's contents without having to fully log off and log onto the admin's account.

Shouldn't there be a way to view the folder's contents after entering the admin's credentials from *within* the user's console? Thanks...

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Do you have fast user switching service enabled?
    Mrk

3. floepie

That was quick :) Yes, I have it enabled. By that I mean, I have not disabled it in the 'Local Computer Policy'. In other words, the option to 'switch user' is visible from within the start menu. Is that what you're referring to?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'm talking about the actual service in services.msc.
    Mrk

5. floepie

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running Vista, and there is no such service listed in 'services'. I've come across a method to turn this "feature" off in Vista either with Computer Policy or using the reg editor, and I have not done this, so this "feature" is currently on. I have a user welcome screen and the option to 'switch user' is available from the start menu. If this feature were off, then these two things would not be visible.

Just curious, were you thinking that having this feature disabled would prevent me from seeing the contents of a "protected" folder? If so, I don't think this is the key...

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I think what Mrkvonic is referring to is that you dont need to logoff the user account to login to the admin account.
    all you do is go to the start menu click on the arrow for more options and click on switch user.
    then click on admin account and login.
    once finished logout and click on your standard user and type in password and your back to where you were.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. floepie

8. floepie

Yes, that would the easy way, now wouldn't it. :)

But, I'm just wondering why there is no way to have a password-protected folder that can be browsed and manipulated once an admin password is provided.
    Just in case, I did upload the screenies you requested in the previous post.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ill have a look when i have time.
    busy looking for a job atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.