NTBackup and Acronis True Image Server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Heiner5, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heiner5

Heiner5 Registered Member

Hello,

we have purchased Acronis True Image ECHO SVR (DE) a couple of days ago. On our operating system (Windows Server 2003) there is already NTBackup running, which is automatically saving some directories on USB hard drives every night. Now we heard that after the installation of Acronis, NTBackup may not work any more. Is that true or has the problem been fixed already?

We want to use Acronis to make a full backup of the whole hard drive to a NAS device once a week and daily partial backups. Will there be a problem using both programs (Acronis and NTBackup) on one system? Even if it is unusual, we would prefer that way.

Kind regards,
    Heinz

2. the_poet

the_poet Registered Member

I not agree with you in using both NTBackup and Acronis. But if you wont to damage yourself do whatever you wont. Acronis and NTBackup both use Microsoft Shadow Copy tecnology, check your application and system log for any errors and report them.
    I think you can make all your backup tasks via Acronis. NTBackup is better only if you have to face an automated library

3. Heiner5

Heiner5 Registered Member

Hello,

I suppose this information is not correct. In the version we use (Acronis True Image Server Echo), the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is turned off by default.

Regards,
    Heiner

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Heiner5,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

NTBackup fails or malfunctions sporadically when there is Acronis True Image installed on the machine. When there is Acronis True Image installed on the machine, NTBackup may try using Acronis VSS Provider to operate. To solve the issue do the following:

Direct NTBackup to use Microsoft VSS Provider instead of Acronis VSS Provider by editing registry as described below:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
    2. Locate and right-click the following registry subkey:
    o HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore
    3. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type UseMicrosoftProvider as the name for the new DWORD value, and then press Enter.
    5. Double-click UseMicrosoftProvider, type 1 in the Value box.
    6. Press Enter, and then close registry and then try Ntbackup to see if that works fine.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. Telxon

Telxon Registered Member

Dmitry,

I've been struggling with these exact same symptoms for a few days. Thanks ofr the post. I'll make the registry change and see what happens tonight since we're using the SBS2003 backup applet to perform nightly backups.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.