NSIS error

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by wheelman, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheelman

wheelman Registered Member

Hi everyone I am new here. I was trying to download the free version of ewido to see what it's like. I saved it to my hardrive, and when I when I go to run it. I get this message. The installer you are trying to use is corrupted, or incomplete. This could be a result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus. You may want to contact the author for a new copy.

I downloaded from the ewido website from browsing this forum. I just recently downloaded spywareguard. Enabled it's protection. Could this be the cause of the failed download? ( it takes awhile to download this on dialup) I also use AVG, and I have adaware. I don't know if that adaware is even worth having. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but when I just clean my temporary internet files, offline files, cookies, and history. I never get adware when I run adaware, or that spybot. So I kept the adaware anyhow, and deleted spybot. Anyways that is just something I noticed on the few spyware zappers i've encountered.

2. wheelman

Well I just went and deleted spywareguard. It works now really good. Takes quite a bit longer to run than ad aware on quick scan, but is way more thourough. I found two medium potenial malicious malwares. I have a feeling I never would of found any if I cleared my temporary internet files, cookies, history. Is there really a need for spyware/malware cleaner? I am so curious because the outcome of this is 100% no spyware so far when you go into internet properties clean things up yourself ( which is much quicker ). Maybe I just don't go on to many bad websites. I will try doing the same with this program. Should I just delete ad aware free version? Thanks

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No, it's not coincidence. Adaware is probably finding tracking cookies, so if you clean cookies out before scanning you will no longer be finding the undesirable ones. Actually, it is good practice to clean out your temp locations etc before doing a scan with AV, AT or AS to avoid picking up these kinds of things.
    You should be able to run SpywareGuard and ewido realtime both together, they are not doing the same job. Whether you personally have a need for SWG's realtime protection will be a matter for you.
    Is there any need to go to the Doctor's for a routine check up when you feel fine? It is good practice to do periodic scans just to be sure you are clean. Of course, if you have realtime protection running then there should be less need for diagnostic scans.
    In that case you may be a lower risk user and probably don't need to take as many precautions.
    I wouldn't! Adaware is an anti-spyware scanner and occasional smart scans will do no harm and take very little time. Ewido is much more capable with the more dangerous types of malware (other than viruses for which you have an AV).
    If you are using the free version, it does not protect against Adware/Spyware, so that is even more reason to keep Adaware.

In general, I would say that if you are using the free versions of AVG and Adaware you may well benefit from running the paid for version of ewido realtime rather than just relying on periodic scans. It is a question of 'insurance' against risk - unless you really are a safe, low risk, surfer!

4. wheelman

TopperID thanks for answering all those questions. I will keep ad aware then. Also keep cleaning out my temporary files, and cookies. One thing that is nice is you don't have to retype in every password, and username on different websites when you don't delete all that stuff. I can see a big benefit for antispyware then. Insurance is always a good thing you never know when the poops gonna hit the fan. :thumb:

Just wanted to add I just ran a full system scan, and it was clean as a wistle. I like this program it doesn't take long to figure it out. I've been practicing the habit of running a antispyware program before paying any online bill, or ordering anything.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

What you need to do is use a cache cleaner that will remove all the junk, including cookies, but will enable you to selectively retain those cookies that are useful to you. One such example is CCleaner:-

http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner is free and very useful! Once you have gone to Options/Cookies and selected the ones you wish to retain they will never be deleted when you run the cleaner.

6. Erroneouz

Erroneouz Registered Member

I just went through the exact same problem as you are just trying to install eve online and have done dozens of searches across the internet for solutions. This is what solved my problem.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

that is a RAM tester and is very simple to use. Heck I will even explain in simple steps so you dont have to read as much info.

1. Download the program
    2. Open program and insert a 3.5 floppy into your disk drive
    3. save to the disk and to desktop incase =)
    4. turn off your pc
    5. take out all of your RAM but 1 stick and restart
    6. select first boot device as 3.5 floppy on your CMOS
    7. (make sure your disk is in the 3.5 drive) let it run the program. You will see the RAM test run through a series of 6 tests if it says "successful" your good to go. If it says failure there's your problem.
    8. hit "X" and turn off your pc. Use another stick of RAM and repeat step 7.

I can't tell you how many things I have tried from the windows installer updates to manually running /NSIS it took but that did it and I hope it works for you.

Good luck
    -Erron
    my email is ~removed private email - snap~ if you have any questions shoot an email

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.