NSA Security Configuration Guides

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Notok, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was going through my old bookmarks, and found that the NSA Security Configuration Guides have really expanded since the last time that I looked.

There are guides on configuring your system, network, software restriction policies, social media, and more. They give the pros and cons of different solutions, and cover everything from Windows, Mac, Linux, mobile devices, network devices, and more. It's a veritable gold mine for people that are new here, and could help the veterans fine tune their setup and maybe cover things that they didn't think of.

The "Fact Sheets" would probably be the best place to start, and it also includes the most home user information. Do keep in mind that many of the other guides are intended for business networks, and so some are more restrictive than would be appropriate for the average home user, and some are almost more restrictive than what most of us here use!

We're clearly past the days of "anything more than an antivirus and firewall is overkill" :) If anyone has accused you of overkill, then this will probably also give you something to point to and say "See!" :D

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/mitigation_guidance/security_configuration_guides/index.shtml

"Best Practices for Keeping Your Home Network Safe" (PDF) is probably the best place to start.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Just as an FYI, the PDF link is broke/non-functional.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Oops; there was an errant letter in there. Fixed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.