Now, let's talk some SOCCER!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Roos are thinking too much and need to shoot or pass the ball sooner and better!

Play on, big ed

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

very good palying so far downunder underdogs, pity 1-0
    slama is on holiday

3. gerardwil

OK 2-0 victory for Brasil, but the Aussies played extremely well, very good team spirit :thumb:
    So repeat that against Croatia and go to the 1/8 finals :D

Gerard

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Yup...they played OK! Brazil really did not look that great for two matches in a row.

Roos need only a tie to advance.

France...Korea up next! If France ever gets to score they'll probably get a bunch as they are long overdue! The Koreans always play at full throttle so they will be a handfull.

I hope we get lots more surprises!

Play on, big ed

Ps.....slammer always seems to be on Holiday! It must be nice to be independently wealthy!!

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Well, France finally did score a goal(early), problem is, so did Korea, late. ;) :D

1-1 final.

snowbound

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

O...kaaaay! Wifey and I musta been the only ones to watch the last match. Any comments? The yahoos doing the play for ESPN both agreed that the shot by Viera was over the line for a goal....all the camera angles were inconclusive.....they also said that Zidane should not have been given a yellow card for pushing a Korean down because....it's his second in last two games and must sit out the next one...Oh ..Boo Hoo Hoo! Zidane is a great player...but rules is rules!!

Korea played their usual end to end game and deserved their point!

The Frenchies finally broke their "Duck" but still don't look quite right.

Play on, big ed

7. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Kinda hard to keep posts in sequence w/a 15 min delay.

Oh..well!!

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i watched all the matches while i was away. i think England and Argentina are the best two teams. Rooney will start for England tomorrow so you can all see why he's the best player in the world and why England will win the World Cup when he scores against Sweden. :cool:

9. snowbound

I would certainly agree about Argentina, but England? Hmm... i don't think so. ;) :D

snowbound

10. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Way to go Icy....I see you hanging in there to the bitter end!

But ...seriously folks....Spain was looking really good after their 1st match but it took them 75 min to get on the board today and despite their 4 -1 win over Tunisia....did not look like Cup winners! England get to play their 1st real match tomorrow and it will be interesting to see which one of his lumberjack mid-fielders Sven benches. Smart money is on England losing on purpose so they don't have to face Germany next. Not implying that any team would stoop to such skullduggery! But geez...1966 is such a long time ago!!

Argentina was one of my picks...but now...even they are suspect! Every time I settle on a team they either pull a stinker or crash to a minnow.

I should have just picked Brazil to win so I wouldn't have to go thru all this....but wait....they don't look that great either!

Sharing my most expert tips, Tout ed

11. Doc2626

Doc2626 Registered Member

I do have to say I was thoroughly impressed with Australia's efforts, even though Brazil certainly wasn't up to snuff. To hold 'em down for the first half, and then harass the dickens out of 'em for the rest, I think they made a very good show of it!

12. helen321

helen321 Registered Member

hi, it's me ice ;) helen had problems connecting to the internet she forgot to turn the router on :ninja:

when England play Sweden they will have Rooney and Owen up front and Gerrard isn't going to play (he has a yellow card and England have already qualified for the next round).

this means the balance of the team will be much, much better. Rooney will link up with the midfielders, so no more long balls to Couch, the midfielders will be farther up the pitch (in the middle 1/3 - if that makes sense o_O lol) instead of near the defence. play will flow with attacks starting from the goalie, passing all the way to up the pitch.

the midfield may even be better without Gerrard with the German player (i can't remember his name right now :oops: ) adding balance to our midfield

13. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Owen Hargreaves is the mid-fielder mentioned...and he is very talented. A bit confusing as to why he gets Booed by the English fans when he steps on the pitch. The long balls to Crouch was an admitted mistake by his mates as he'd rather the ball at his feet. I hope Terry is at his best so he can cover for Rio.

It's OK by me if the Lions win...just so long as Germany loses to Ecuador...and that could very well happen!

That would make for a great match to see who is the bigger Swiss Cheese!

Play on, big ed

14. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Ok...thats over with! Germany finally woke up and tho Ecuador did not play badly it was a convincing 3 - 0 for the Germs. England needs a win or a tie to avoid them next round.....maybe they'll finally wake up too! If not....they w/face the Germs in the 2nd round. Finally the nitty is getting gritty!

Anticipating some real battles, big ed

Ps...now that the players realise that the Refs are not fooling around...the horrendous fouls of the past seem only a memory...HOORAH!!

15. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Alright...alright! Don't get pushy. Maybe...just maybe ... the Lions are finally starting to roar. The turning point, from the Swedish view I'm sure, is when Rio got substituted for...before he was able to assist on another one of their goals! Mwa ha!!

Joe Cole's shot was awesome and "Super Sub" Stevie Garrards was a reminder of his header against Milan in '04!

Argies and O'ranje tomorrow.....hope it's a good one!

Play on, big ed

16. snowbound

This is really going to show my ignorance of the game but when does penalty shootouts come into effect? Is it the next round or the semi finals?

snowbound

17. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Starting in the 2nd round...loser goes home.

Tied after 90 min....got to 2 ea 15 min periods...will end if either team scores.

Still tied....penalty kicks!

Hate penalty kicks!!

Play on, big ed

18. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Oh...what the heck!

I'm going to stlck my neck out boldly and predict that O'ranje has a 50/50 chance of beating the Argies tomorrow!

Anybody want to take that bet?

19. gerardwil

Owen to miss rest of WC after knee injury:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5706178

Attached Files:

20. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Not what I expected.....Decent match for 1st 30 and last 10 mins. The Argies and Holland better crank it up in second round. The fact that they both used a few subs makes no difference as they all are the best players each country has to offer!

England avoided Germany....they have to play Ecuador...should be a cakewalk...right!! Rio hurt something so he probably won't play....even if they lost Owen...they have something to be thankful for!

Bring em on, big ed

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

22. big ed

big ed Registered Member

La la la la la!!

I can't hear you!!

I'll say this for Roman in his Empire....he may have a lot of $$ but at least he dosen't clutter up the Tabloids with trash...unlike some team owners in the US. He has Hosey for that!

What goes up......must come down!!

Enjoy it while you can, big ed

Ps....USA ain't gonna make it!

23. gerardwil

So far:

Japan - Brazil 1-0
    Croatia - Australia 1-1

Playaed about 40 minutes

Exciting :D

24. gerardwil

half time now

both matches 1-1

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I love the australian spirit! :) Go Australia!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.