Now, let's talk some SOCCER!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can spell her name as you like, i spell it differently often :D the most used is Boudica pronounced Boo-di-ka or Bo-da-cee-ah. the only written evidence of the spelling is in Latin by Tacitus and later on Dio Cassius. her name means Victorious or Victory in British Celtic.

she's described as exceptionaly intelligent, tall - almost 6ft, with tawny (auburn) coloured hair worn loosely down to her hips. a penetrating gaze and harsh voice. she wore a heavy cloak and a torc round her neck and carried a spear.

BTW Chelsea beat Real Betis 4-0 tonight in the Champions League

2. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    No, we wouldn't

3. slammer_JvA

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Ooooh!

I guess I should have known better than to tweak the Slammer!:eek:

OK...here is my top three in no particular order.....Holland, Germany, and Brazil. A match between the first two is usually a 'barn burner'. Holland is looking really good, Germany is the host, and Brazil is...well...Brazil!!!

After you get through soaking the 'blackeyed beans' for our tailgate party you just might care to make a preliminary observation.

5. slammer_JvA

Indeed, you should have :p :D

Ok then, because you're so admirably persistent, dear Ed.
    Here are my preliminary observations -take notice: no forecasts, yet-

First: I really believe this could become the tournament of upsets & surprises (like EURO2004 already proved as well).
    Holland is indeed looking good, but I'm biased. Apart from that imho they still haven't showed they've got the killer-instinct to actually win a cup. Perform extremely good, and deserve credit -yes.
    Then Germany: Okay, they're the hosts, so they will survive the group stages (with or without the aid of referees...:doubt: ). But that's it; they're not as strong a force as they used to be. So forget about them.
    Brasil... final- material. But hey, we might get lucky for a change and somebody will send them home early.
    But my money is on Argentina. For now.:D
    Other outsiders: the Czechs (that is if they get qualified, which I don't doubt); the pommies (they seem to be willing to get their pride back, and they should!); and then...dunno why but I really sense (wishful thinking) an African surprise....

I'll get back to this.... later ;)

regards,
    slam:ninja:

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Ok....fair enough.

Yeah....Argentina looks pretty strong ....I've never been able to forgive them for their performances in '82! It was fitting that Italy beat them soundly for the 'Cup'. Remember....they came into WC '02 as one of the heavy favorites and crashed!

The African Teams are always impressive but they pick up too many cards w/their style of play and end up missing a lot of their starters in the later rounds.

I understand your reservations about L'orange but if (always a big if!) they can maintain their present level of play they will be a force.

As far as the Refs favoring the home team.....poppycock!! The Refs couldn't care less who wins the match. That is a myth perpetrated by the losing visiting team and the media! The only things that the Refs have going for them is their application of the rules and their credibility. Do they ever err... sure...but rarely....and most of those times it's when a player is playacting!!

You are right though......Liverpool...Greece!! It's all up for grabs!!

Play on, big ed

Ps....I really don't care who wins.....I just want to see some good Football!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  7. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey slammer,

Roll over and go back to sleep. Ajax 2 - Psv 2!!

From reports I read it was a ho-hum match.

Ps...Wierd...I was notified that you posted here and got your mess. in my email but when I came here it's missing!!

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Slam must have woke from his sleep and removed his poo poo post. :D ;) :D

snowbound

9. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Thanks Snoguy,

It kinda threw me for a minute! I think I'll save it to throw at him at some future date.... the post that is....not the poo poo!!! ;)

Play on, big ed

10. slammer_JvA

:eek: You mean basta.. rofl:D
    Now you still managed to cheer me up after this crappy day.:)
    Yeah..I deserved that coming to me. Re-reading my posting I thought it was quite pathetic and decided to delete it. How low can you go....

Ajax lost indeed, 0-1.
    But it wasn't the big hammering I expected. Pretty lousy play from both sides, and rather poor performance from PSV too. So I heard ;)
    Glad I didn't watch it. -ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!
    :D
    It's gonna be a looooooong and challenging season for someone who is quite a bad loser.... (= me :doubt: )
    It's starting to resemble the dramatic 1999 season, resulting in a terrible 6th place in the league... the shame!:oops: :mad:

This is not Ajax. This is not the kind of team that represents the pride and charisma that belongs to my club. This is just bore mediocre: YUK! I feel detached, estranged is the word I believe...
    The board is in crisis; the manager is not managing; the play is not recognisable; the players seem not motivated and/or interested etc etc etc:blink:
    We need fresh blood, people with passion and clubpride in all levels, and a wind of change!
    But we will be back. As always, like a phoenix from the flames.
    Because that's Ajax as well. There have been worse times before...

~sigh~

ah well, still got l'orange to look forward to.

sharing the sunday blues of a true fan, with regards,
    slam

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  11. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Whoa....easy there big fella!!

Just remember.....It may seem like a really dark day today but tomorrow could be even darker!!

Hope that makes you feel better!

Keepin a stiff upper lip in Leicester, Considerate ed

12. slammer_JvA

"One should not try to copy the Master..." :rolleyes::p :)

Robert Pires' insecurity led to the oddest penalty ever seen in the Premiership, Arsene Wenger believes. Nevertheless, Arsenal beat Manchester City 1-0.

The pair had practised the play in training, one used by Dutch legend Johan Cruyff when he exchanged passes with team-mate Jesper Olsen before scoring for Ajax in the 1982-83 season.

But it went horribly wrong for the two Frenchmen (:D) and has led to accusations that the attempt was disrespectful."

Full story (BBC sport)

That's what you get :D
    One shouldn't try to copy the master if one doesn't have the qualities to do so :p :cool:

Study some more, I'd say!;)
    Here's how it supposed to be done: The infamous penalty of Johan Cruijff and Jesper Olsen ( 5 dec. 1982)
    With apologies for the poor image quality, but hey, it's been over 20 years ago, this brilliance :cool:

Wanna see more excellence in motion?
    Look here: http://www.johancruyff.nl/nl/fan/movie/
    (It's in Dutch but that's no problem; just click the video-links, that's what it's all about)

edit:
    Credits where credits are due: it came to my attention that Johan Cruijff was not the 'inventor' of taking the penalty in this manner. (little dissapointed about that, but I have to be fair) Surely Cruijff's performance was sublime :D

Still searching for the facts, but it appears to be taken for the first time in the mid 50's by a Belgian player named RICK COPPENS.
    If anyone could tell us more, please be invited to do so!
    slammer:)

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  13. big ed

big ed Registered Member

C'mon slammer,

Stop fooling around!! Comparing Cruijff w/Pires is like the difference between a Great White and a minnow!

Play on, big ed

14. snowbound

15. iceni

iceni Guest

16. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Yeah...pretty impressive thrashing by the Lady Lionettes. England would have a much better chance of winning the Cup '06 in Germany if they went instead of the Men's team. I'd root for them too!!

Chelski is rolling along after a slight bump (the Mgr. blamed the pitch, the refs, and the allignment of the stars) and unless the whole team comes down w/Tami Flu they should coast to the title.

Play on, big ed

17. slammer_JvA

What's that I'm reading?

Did the "allmighty" CHELSKI'S lose at Sevilla?

Must have misread....:doubt: :rolleyes:

:p :p :D :D :D ;)

18. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Naw, they didn't really lose! According to the Chelski Website they were screwed by the Refs......again!! Real Betis musta had a 'Homer' in the Ref from Luxembourg....DUH!!:p

I guess Chelski have really won all of their matches!!:rolleyes:

Play on, big ed

19. slammer away

slammer away Guest

They must have! (whit that attitude... :rolleyes:)

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes, i'm with you both slammer and big ed - it's very hard to believe Chelsea lost one game. but they were prepared for it because they are a very professional side. so don't worry too much about it. they will still finish top of the group and win the cup.

Jose Mourinho - October 19 2005 - before the first game against Real Betis (Chelsea won 4-0)
    "But you cannot win every game or play well in every game. We are mentally very prepared to face the other side of the coin.

"So if somebody thinks the day Chelsea lose or start playing not so well, we will have a psychological negative side - I don't think so. We are very, very well prepared for the other side of the coin."

21. slammer_JvA

Careful Iceni, dear friend...
    We have a saying overhere:

"Haughty-ness comes before the f a l l ..." :doubt:

Better take that in mind:rolleyes:
    Goodluck,
    slam:cool:

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

23. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Quoted like a true fan of a winning team! Personally I enjoyed watching Chelski 6 or 7 yrs. ago when they had some great players but were very unpredictable. I love the cliches the players (IQ of a rock) and the mgrs. use to describe their thoughts before and after a match. Usually if a Team gets beat 8-0 the mgr. will say he still fancied his chances at 6-0 but when the 7th goal was scored he knew his Team was in a bit of trouble!

I love it all!!

Play on, big ed

24. snowbound

25. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Man U - 1 Chelski - 0!! Nah..impossible...musta been a typo!! Isn't that three clunkers in a row for the invincible Blues? I didn't bother reading the Mgrs interviews after the game!!

Ya gotta love this Game!!

Play on, big ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.