Now, let's talk some SOCCER!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Suggested and encouraged to me by my dear friend Snowbound, I decided to start this new topic for anyone interested (especially in EURO 2004 Portugal!), and for our overseas (especially American) members, who are still in the dark and haven't got a clue about this most magnificent game of all! :D

So, here's my invitation to all of you:

Let's spread the word and teach those "illiterates" ;) the basics and joy of SOCCER, and all that may be related with it!!!

Let the games commense, and have a wonderful summer.

Greetings,
    Slammer

2. slammer_JvA

Let's start with a basic introduction to the game:

Soccer is a game between 2 teams of 10 fieldplayers + 1 Goalkeeper each; played on a pitch (grass preferably) of some 110 metres length, and some 55 metres wide. One (round!;)) ball is used and each team has one goal to defend and aims to score (= shooting this ball in the net of the opponents goal).
    ( are you all still with me so far, yankees? :) -no offense intended!)

As a matter of fact, the name "soccer" is hardly being used for the game in places where it's popular; In most countries it is referred to as:"Football".
    (for example Spanish: "Fútbol", German: "Fussbal", French: "Football" or even just "Foot", and what about Esperanto: "Futbalo")

I believe "soccer" is more or less being used mostly by american viewers, to avoid mixing up the game with American Football.
    So, please forgive me if I use "Football" - it's what I'm used to. Wherever I do, I refer to soccer.
    Don't want to start a discussion about which should be regarded the real Football.....I just "wonder";) why "soccer" hasn't been named European/South American/Asian/African Football.... ;)
    For anyone interested in more historical facts I refer to:

This site
    (Thanks Marianna!)

A game consists of 2 periods of each 45 minutes, + injury time added.

In tournaments, like EURO 2004 Portugal, teams are placed in groups of 4 each, and they play a competition of one game each against the other teams in that group. A win (one team scores more goals than the other) is rewarded with 3 points, a draw (yes, they exist in soccer!!!, though lately disputed by some...) which means both teams score the same number of goals or none at all in one game, is rewarded with 1 point; and finally, a loss (scoring less goals than the other team does) is not rewarded (so: 0 points!)

With completion of these first group-competitions a ranking (of points scored + if necessary, goals scored) will decide which teams (in this case: the first 2 of each group) will qualify to go to the so-called knock-out-stages.

From here it's actually very simple:
    Each qualified team will get one shot (=game) to beat the other (after being pared to them by tossing).
    Like in most other teamsports, from here on eventually you get quarter-finals, semi-finals and the FINAL.
    Winner of this final is rewarded the champion (EURO 2004: of Europe for the next 4 years)

Any questions? :)

ENJOY THE GAMES

cheers,
    Slammer

P.S. when/if needed I will elaborate on this in coming replies.

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

WOAAAAHHH! There Slammer my man....what are you trying to do, start World War 3, 4 and 5.....

Cochise, :cool:

4. slammer_JvA

31 days left until D-DAY...:D

We Dutch are counting the days and wait in eager anticipation of one of the greatest classical derby's of this classical game: the clash between traditional rivals and neighbours

The Netherlands vs Germany

Though the odds are looking very promising for 'us' Dutch, never underestimate the fighting-spirit in tournament-soccer of the Germans (runner-up worldchampions 2002).
    So, once more the world is looking forward to yet another thriller to take place at Porto, June 15th (D-Day ;)) 19:45 PM local (Portuguese) time.

Here's an introduction of my country, team, and countrymen:

http://www.euro2004.com/tournament/teams/team=95/News/Kind=2/index.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  5. slammer_JvA

Hahaha the first fish "took the bate" LOL :D:cool:
    Like mentioned before: I have absolutely no intention to offend anyone here!
    (and I am aware of the fact that soccer is already very popular on high-schools in USA... yet, sadly, most players stop after school; and soccer is very often regarded as a womens'game only and/or of minor importance, in relation with 'your' big 4: american football, baseball, NBA(Basketball) and hockey.... it's such a shame...sigh :))

:cool:
    grtz cochise!
    Slammer

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Yes,

Eurocup coming soon! :D

Slammer can Moderate this thread. :p :D

I myself don't know much about the rules of soccer but i do enjoy the really big events. :cool:

Favourite team i do not have but i do like the open style of the Swedes and the Dutch compared to the defensive style of teams like Germany.

I look forward to all the games and the comments to come here so let the games begin! :D :D

Good Luck to all. :)

snowbound

7. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

8. slammer_JvA

:D
    I'll keep you posted!
    (and one more thing: let's go for fairplay and brotherhood this time, that way it will be a feast for everyone. cheers!)

9. slammer_JvA

EURO 2004 Finals forecast spreadsheet (Excel)
    for your desktop

can be downloaded here

With this nice excel file you don't have to bother constructing it yourself anymore! ;)

Just fill in the results of played (or forecasted) games and see rankings change; who progresses to the final; and becomes the EURO2004 CHAMPION.

Have fun with it!
    grtz,
    Slammer

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

HI Ger

Thanks for the link - got it :D

12. slammer_JvA

Yep, me too :D

Thanks Gerard!

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

OK! As we enter the Arena of Death....lets just elucidate on a few facts here....in the UK it's called 'Football' i.e. where the foot hits the ball..(Sometimes) in the good Ol' U.S Football is where you wear more armour than a Centurion Tank, over here we call that Rugby where all you wear for that is a headband (To stop your ears getting pulled off) and a gum-shield.....Soccer is an American name for a game nothing remotely like 'Football'.... :rolleyes: :D

In the old days 'Real' footballers wore leather boots with solid leather toe-caps which could, with a bit of luck, (Cos we where 'ard in them days) break your leg....but we would still play on 'til the end of the game so as not to let the side down and show you where a 'big girls blouse'......now, these days all the ballerinas (sorry) Footballers wear little soft Ballet pumps so that their little feet are cosy and they look good...As for hair-dos..I'm not even going there.....

Bring back the 'Good Old Days' of the two-footed tackle, knocking the Keeper unconcious as you barged him into the Net, never dreaming of questioning the 'Refs' decision, never taking your shirt off just because you scored a Goal, never expecting more than a quick hand-shake after knocking in a hat-trick, if another player tried to put his arms around you or kiss you he would have been knocked senseless ( and that would have been by the 'Ref')...Football?....it's a game for Girls now...... :D

One thing we never did and that was to cry in public if we lost...we would just beat the crap out of the Opponents and they would just love us for it...

Oh! Yes, Hockey...I played for three years for the Grimsby Redwings (Ice Hockey) came thro' only a little bit bent but still with all my own teeth, Scored 84 Goals in 68 games.

14. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

”The earliest evidence of soccer dates from about 200 in China, where a form of the game was played that emphasized the ability of players to dribble a leather ball. The Greeks and Romans also participated in a variation of soccer that permitted ball carrying.

The modern-day outgrowth of soccer is known to have started in England, and the first ball reportedly was the head of a dead Danish brigand. Although King Edward III prohibited soccer in 1365 because of its excessive violence and for military reasons playing took time away from archery practice the game had become too popular to be curtailed.”

Soccer's global spread began in the late 1800s, when British traders, sailors, and soldiers carried the sport all over the world. Germans, Italians, and Austrians were eager converts in Europe, while Argentines, Uruguayans, and Brazilians took quickly to the sport in South America. FIFA was formed in 1904. By 1930 professional leagues were operating in many countries, and that year FIFA organized the first World Cup in Uruguay.”

15. snowbound

Which they won of course. ;)

I think this little nation won again sometime in the 1950's. :doubt:

As far as i know, there has only been 6 or 7 teams that have won the World Cup since it's inception.

Quite surprising....

snowbound

16. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

17. snowbound

Come on Cochise, drag yourself in to the 21 century. ;) :D

This isn't 1966 u know. Oh sorry, i know it's been a long time. :p :cool:

By the way, has England ever won a Euro cup? ;)

snowbound

18. slammer_JvA

@ Cochise: Nice one, LOL :D

@ Snowbound & Marianna: Very interesting (historic) postimgs, keep up the good work!

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hah! Snowbound....has England ever won anything....we are still living on the Glory of '66....one day we may win something again but we're not holding our breath.....Just remember... we are the Land of Hope and Glory....so you never know..... :D :D :-*

Cochoise, :cool:
    PS. Please...whatever you do...never take what I say seriously......You'll go raving mad......

20. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Mmmmmmm! Has England ever won a European Cup?? Mmmmmm! would we want to??.....Is the European Cup important?....only to Europeans....We're English...nothing to do with Europe..... :D :D

21. slammer_JvA

Haha, mad we'll go anyway! (After you, SIR! ;))
    Nevertheless, it's always a pleasure to read your "madness", Cochise;
    As for your royal kingdom-team aspirations...Keep the faith:and they will once rule the waves again!
    I will cheer for them not until after the orange wave has "come to shore"...:D

heheh,
    Slammer

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Slammer...I just knew you would understand... :D :D Looooool!

Cochise, :cool: (Complete with Cardboard Gum-shield and non-ferrous underwear).

23. dog

dog Guest

Hi Slammer, ;)

This clueless Canuk ... will be watching and learning (thanks to everyones posts and links) ... and of course rooting for our adopted team - The Netherlands ...

Just one silly question though ... What's the the Teams Nickname ... or do we just cheer ... Go Netherlands Go!

Told ya I was ClueLess! :D LOL

dog - *puppy*

http://www.euro2004.com/MultimediaFiles/Wallpaper/Euro2004/WlpKinas/161670_800X600.jpg

24. slammer_JvA

Glad you asked, dog!
    And very nice to see we've got another fan attrackted :)
    As for answering your question:

Direct translation of your cheer (Go Netherlands go) is used by us, supporters; it reads: HUP HOLLAND HUP.

A real nickname I can't think of right now, but the Dutch national squad is mostly referred to as ORANJE (orange). This is because of the origin of our Royal family (House of Orange, leading back to the little place Orange, southern France; but that will go too much off topic ;))

Subsequently it became the color of the teams outfit, and its fans:
    though in daily life we tend to be a modest and quite temperate kind of people, when sports and especially our national footballsquad is involved, this people go crazy and super patriotic; and you will see one giant sea of orange madness on the stands.

So, no matter what clothes you want to wear during this tournament, make sure it's orange :)

grtz,
    Slammer

Attached Files:

25. slammer_JvA

Now what about the Dutch logo:

Instead of our English friends (who need 3...:p) we can do with

ONE brave LION!

And ofcourse, again this mascotte is - you guessed it..- also orange.:D
    KNVB is the abbrev. of "Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbal Bond";
    the Royal Dutch Football Association.
    Before (in our finest hours- 70's & 80's) an entire lion standing up, looked at from its left side, formed the logo.
    Alas, the urge for commercial use (a.o.) in the 90's made the logo change to the 'futuristic'(?) lions' head of today.
    Ah well, could be worse; we still can show our teeth.:D

edit Slammer:

Invitation: Please feel free to share your team, history , logo etc in this thread; don't want this to become an all Holland showroom only! :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.