Now, Let's talk some Golf!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would like to see the Masters in person.

http://www.masters.org/en_US/index.html

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Yes, that would be a treat. You would get to see ALL of the big names at one tournament. Very well maintained course, from what I've seen on TV. Maybe if I offer to caddie for one of the newbies! I'm strong enough to carry a bag!

Attached Files:

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't know why anyone wouldn't enjoy golf after looking at all these pictures.

I may go on tour next year!

4. Dazed_and_Confused

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sorry. Don't have a clue. (Not unusual by the way)

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Q-School (I believe) is the round of tournaments one must play (and do well) before he can get his tour card. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject could expand on this.

See here.

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Holy sand wedge! I should have practiced WAY more all these years....

Old Duffer

PS - I've always read that "Q" School is one of the worst torture chambers in the pro golf world. So much riding on a few days' play - a precious PGA Tour card.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not that advanced. Still learning everyday. :D Link

9. Dazed_and_Confused

So are most of the folks at Q-School! I think you might be selling yourself short. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! It's just a shame they don't let girls play on the PGA tour. I might decide to join! :cool: I don't think I would fit in too well with the "girls" on the LPGA tour. :rolleyes:

Did you know they play golf in the northern parts of the country year-round? I saw a few folks playing in the snow (or at least trying). They were using an orange ball. The heavy coats would really put a crimp in my swing.

Attached Files:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The only way we could play golf down here right now is in a rowboat. Maybe bowling would be better for awhile! :D

11. Dazed_and_Confused

My uncle in Houston said a wall in Home Depot in Galveston fell down due to the heavy rains. Not sure indoor sports are safe either!

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Part of the roof! Link

13. ssgtmax

I thought Annika played very well in the Colonial tournament in Texas last year. Barely missed the cut....much better than a whole buncha the boys. And I guarantee you that Michelle Wie (all 6' & 14 yrs of her) has got game. She lacks only some maturity - gee, I wonder why that would be? I just hope they let her have some semblance of a "normal" teenage life.

If women have the game to compete with the men, they should have every right to play on the PGA Tour. My only complaint would come if they continue to receive exemptions into tournaments. The men have to do "Q" School or qualify via the Nationwide Tour. Ladies should have to clear the same difficult hurdles. ;) ;)

14. Dazed_and_Confused

I agree 100%. But I also believe that if the men are forced to allow ladies on the Men's tour, the ladies should be forced to accept men, too. But I think the men will gladly accept ladies if they are good enough to make it through Q. And the two you mentioned could probably do it. Annika probably has no desire - she has already proved herself and already has the $$.

15. ssgtmax

Hopefully, neither Tour will be forced to do anything. All would lose. That's why proper qualifying/competition is the only way to go. All matters should be settled tee-to-green.

I don't wanna wander too far off the reservation here, into the land of "politics", as it were. I'll now return to hooks, slices, hacks, duffs, snake-killers, flubs, chili-dips, gaffes, shanks, worm-burners & various other aspects of my pathetic swing/game.... :D :D

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hacking takes on a whole new meaning with golf!! :D

I'm a hacker, as in golf.

17. ssgtmax

Same-same here. Proof positive: after not having played for 2-3 months, I went out & shot an 83 (not a difficult par 72 course, believe me). One week to the day later....same course, same playing conditions, same crappy swing....I shot 98. Mr. Consistency. :D :D

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That is pretty fair golfing in my book. Unless you play everyday, it's excellent.

19. ssgtmax

Golf's hallowed ground. I've never been anywhere close to Augusta National, but I did have the good fortune to walk the fairways of Pebble Beach during the AT&T Tournament in Tiger's rookie pro season. We followed him for about 4 holes. Would luv to hit a drive like that just ONCE in my life! It was also great fun to watch Bill Murray's antics when the TV camera was NOT on him. He gets away with a lot more stuff....and actually hits some pretty decent golf shots. Poor Jack Lemmon really looked his age by then. Kevin Costner & Clint Eastwood were in the same 4some. There were women lined up to the horizon.... :cool:

20. ssgtmax

Certainly excellent any time I break 90 in my golf world. Keep in mind, though, I'm talkin' a very flat course, pretty wide fairways, & maybe 6,100 yds long. Of course, ya still gotta knock the little white pill on the green & make the putts....

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My mother loved Arnie. She had the chance to meet him in person at The Woodlands years ago. She couldn't say a word to him. I thought she was going to faint!

22. ssgtmax

Every pro golfer, every morning of his life, should bow toward Latrobe, PA (Arnie's home) and thank his lucky stars. Arnie is the reason they all play for a gazillion $$$$. Always golf's greatest ambassador, having the same effect on galleries everywhere as he had on your star-struck momma.

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In a word, charisma. (Not to mention millions of dollars :D )

24. Dazed_and_Confused

Sure it wasn't the Houston heat and humidity? :D

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What heat? :D Good thing we can retreat here when we get carried away elsewhere! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.