Novice (somewhat) needs direction

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mistertim, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistertim

mistertim Registered Member

Howdy! I'm technically literate but a novice to, ahhhh, spyware... You've probably dealt with this before, but my problem is driving me nuts, and so I'm turning to experts. I use W98SE. Somehow, somewhere the scourge of Teknum was loaded onto my computer. Could have been that I did it, but I'm very careful about what I download. Anyway, I am experiencing a very interesting condition. I use a program called RegCleaner v 4.3. I'm fairly dangerous playing with my registry. I use the RegCleaner program to monitor what's going on. Here's the condition; let's say I launch RegCleaner. I get the listing, everything's fine, I close the program. NOW, if I were to delete a file, ANY file, and then re-launch RegCleaner, it will show an entry has been made in my registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Teknum Systems. I can delete this registry entry, reboot the machine, launch RegCleaner, look at the list, and sure enough, the Teknum registry entry is gone, and it stays gone until I delete a file. I suspect an insidious executable is lurking about, but I just can't figure out the name. So far as I can tell, I have successfully eliminated everything Teknum related from my machine, that is, until I delete a file, and a registry entry is automatically made. Hmmmmmm... what do you think? And many thanks for your patience and time... =Tim=

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.