NovaShield HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rasheed187, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hoe vind jij die nieuwe aps zo snel?

3. Rasheed187

@ Kees1958 (for people who don´t know: Kees is pronounced as "Case"), remember we should speak English! :D

Just by surfing around. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  4. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Looks to me like a case of over supply of a HIPS, which if you look on their web site does not seem to be able to distinguish itself from the pack.

It seems strange marketing that after a 30 day trial its an annual contract. Seems an expensive way of achieving what can be got free from some other very reliable well established sources.

Maybe I missed something

Terry

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Very strange marketing deployment. They got Grant(public fund) during product incubation. Now the bird is emerging from the egg shell, and asking a feast in no time..

Don't they think a minute to repay the public contribution first by offering a one-year free trial ? Who on this earth would spend even one dollar to try this app out for reason number 1, unknown program, new comer, having no track record except excellent academic credential--U. Of Wisconsin. Reason number two- is it better than ThreatFire (freeware) or Mamutu(one year free offer just last week), and reason number three, 30 days free trial is NOT enough to convince public its value and trust-worth.

I would consider an unlimited-time trial is reasonably warranted until such time to be defined, and is an appropriate gesture to say THANK YOU to all the people who may have somehow contributed that mooney.

Just puzzle me, why would a public funding be granted to produce a me-too product, any innovative elements here at all ?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I read somewhere that they are actually for enterprise.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Then, perhaps that is where should be . Again, it would a nicest thing if they could adopt Comodo's spirits , offering home users a free decent application.

Is it possible ?

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In Spanish "nova" means "It won't go." NOT such a good choice of names for a new entry into an over-crowded field.

However, the fact that NovaShield won't be yet another freebie is not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, we have several good HIPS now available, but of the free HIPS, Defender+ & Threatfire are possibly the only ones with long-term staying power.

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Well....no va is not the same as nova. But I see your point. Does anyone remember a car that was made in Mexico named Nova? Needless to say it did not sell very well. Someone had their brains working overtime on that one. :argh:

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Bellgamin! Wat is Defender+? Some new HIPS?

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nova is very similar to Neoava as well, I mean the sound effects.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

He's talking about Comodo :)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I suspected so, Defence+. :)

14. bellgamin

Whoops!o_O

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You better add Online Armor to that list.

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Fixed that for you ;) *puppy*

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me it seems a behav blocker, so u can,t compare it to OA and D plus.

These should be TF, PRSC and Mamutu I think.

18. bellgamin

Double whoops! BOTH free & non-free, OA is always on the foremost bleeding edge of development.

I agree with Aigle - from Novashield's on-site description, it sounds like it's mainly a behavior blocker.

+++A classical HIPS monitors behavior and reports anomalies to the user, &/or acts on anomalies based on user-developed rules. By nature, classiicals are tough for neophyte users. In the hands of an inept or lazy user, a classical may soon deteriorate into more of a pest than a real security layer. Vice versa-- in the hands of a proficient, industrious user, a classical can become as close to "bulletproof" as is possible for any security app.

+++A pure behavior blocker (BB) monitors behavior and more-or-less *automatically* blocks anomalies based on heuristics & default rules. By nature, behavior blockers are easier for neophyte users. Even in the hands of an inept or lazy user, a behavior blocker will do an *adequate* job.

As time passes & HIPS apps evolve, the distinction grows fuzzier between so-called behavior blockers & so-called classicals. Defence+ is at the far end of classical. TF is at the far end of behavior blocker. OA is more of a hybrid.

If I have ventured too far OT... mea culpa.:gack:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me OA is a pure classical HIPS with a white list and simpler rules( rather than complex parent child relation).

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very Well said and 100% accurate assessment. ;)

Casual users who just tend to loaf on real security and always newbies definitely will fall into category #1

I been at this for years and yet when i was first confronted with SSM, i had my work cut out for me but it was well worth the effort i would say, since it ended up replacing resident active AV's/AS's for me ever again and also as a bonus completely eliminated those constant incompatibilities that every AV brings along with it as well as the endless pursuit of undiscovered blacklist releases.

Didn't take long before many others were jumping on that train themselves, with or without ISR's. ;)

21. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

FYI it was sold in the UK by Vauxhall, a subsiduary of General Motors, and was sold very well until it was replaced by the Corsa.:D

22. Rasheed187

It seems that this tool is developed by some "big chiefs" so you would hope that´s there´s some innovation and that it won´t be crappy, but let´s wait and see.

Did you know that Vauxhall is called "Opel" in the rest of Europe? ;)

23. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Its out now. I've just started to use it. The only bad thing I've noticed is that it uses 40-60 MBs of RAM on my PC.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

We are very pleased to announce the launch of NovaShield 1.06 which is available for immediate download!
    The installation of NovaShield on your home computer offers you the following advantages:

Protection against unknown threats: NovaShield protects against threats that have not been seen before, a challenging task that traditional signature-based anti-malware products cannot do. NovaShield reduces the risk of your computer being infected with malware, and protects you against threats such as identity theft.

Remediation: NovaShield monitors file system and registry activity as part of its detection engine. If a threat is discovered, NovaShield knows exactly what files and registry items it created and can remove these byproducts in addition to removing the threat itself.

Lightweight: NovaShield is lightweight in its use of system resources and will not slow down your computer or consume lots of memory.

No need for daily updates: Because NovaShield uses policies that detect behavior rather than detecting patterns of byte code, it does not require daily updates. NovaShield receives updates only for patches and the addition of policies that recognize new types of malicious behavior.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

More about the company here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.