Notification balloon request

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Biscuit, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

I installed 15 user site today for Ewido v4. Already some of the users are getting annoyed with the frequent notification balloons in the system trays. Please consider either make the notification much shorter, or provide an option to turn it off.

2. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Biscuit,

I just thought of something that might help. Why don't you change the time between updates? It is normally set for each hous, why don't you increase that a little. Click on update at the top and then down at the bottom you can set how many hours you want between updates. I don't think increasing that a few hours will compromise you security and it will make the updates les frequent and thus the balloons les often.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

3. Biscuit

That's a good work-around, thanks for the idea.

:)

4. HelpFromFrance

Biscuit,

Glad it will work for you until maybe they make it an option. Glad to be of service. :D

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

5. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

I like Notification balloon

I like the balloon notification -
    Microsoft also does this and its appreciated.

6. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

Perfect recommendation for those requiring less frequent updates-
    I dont see any need for ewido to do anything,because your recommendation is exactly what I was going to recommend.

7. Biscuit

I was thinking more of a "silent" option as with NOD32. Constant notifications are ok for home users, but it really annoys corporate users.

8. HelpFromFrance

The nice thing about it if it is an option is those that want it can use it ;) and those that don't want don't have to use it ;) . At least that way it is a choice. Not sure how much work it would be to set that as an option since I am not a programer.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

9. nameless

nameless Registered Member

But of course, some home users also don't like balloon notifications, and simply increasing the update interval is not a very good workaround. Besides, balloon notifications also occur whenever a scheduled scan begins or ends.

There should be an option in ewido to disable them, and I would be surprised if they didn't add such an option in a future release.

There is a way to disable all balloon tips in Windows XP (but again, this isn't a good workaround):

HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP

10. HelpFromFrance

Biscuit,

I just noticed on the update page of ewido, down towoard the bottom where you set the frequency, that you can disable notification, will that get rid of the balloon? If it not the "balloon" then what notification is it, I don't know, but just wondering.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  11. nameless

I'm not sure if that refers to the balloon notifications, but I don't know what else it could possibly refer to. But even if that option disables update balloon notifications, that still leaves the same for scheduled scans...

12. HelpFromFrance

Agreed, but unless you schedule lots of scans each day, you will only see that balloon once in a while. I presonally like the balloon since I know what has just taken place, but I see how it could be a pain if you are working and they pop up too often.

HelpFromFrance

13. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

There's also a notification on scheduled scans when they start and when they've finished. (which can not be disabled)

BR

14. Biscuit

Thanks HFF

I think you've fixed the problem for me. The check box seems to do exactly what I wanted. :)

Biscuit

15. HelpFromFrance

Biscuit,

yes, I can now confirm it gets rid of the balloon, how did we all miss that, it was just in front of us! :oops: o_O

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

16. nameless

Well, speaking only for myself, I missed it simply because I didn't look into it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.