Notice Raxco's new PD rx doesn't do offline bootup defrags anymore.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I forwarded an article to them yesterday of the problems that MS said of 3rd party defraggers using VSS creating data corruption under vista and the next day I see them come out with a new product that removes this feature. Reminds me of when I had an MBR issue and the next day they state they are releasing a fix that will remove the preboot from the MBR. I like how fast they react to things but I don't like feeling like I'm the one who is creating this change. I'd think they would be ontop of this info more. Just when I get my computer the way I want it now I see a program I want PD rx. Wonder if they will give a huge discount for people that bought PD8? Looks like they have a registry cleaner in the suite too. I use CCleaner free. Wonder how it compares. Anyways I will like to know if that MS update on defrag corruption was referring to Raxco's software or not.

2. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Looks like Raxco is making all kinds of news today. No more off-line defrags with this product and now their discontinuance of FDISR. I can't keep up. :blink:

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I got an e-mail today offering FD-ISR users the PD Rx for an introductory price of $9.99, regularly $29.99. The code for the discount is 75FDRX.

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thank you for share it, i got it for $9.99 :)

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Glad I could help!:)

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Seems to me that RX is just a stripped down release, if you want offline defrag you should pay more:

raxco.jpg

You get quite some real estate with RX:

service.jpg

What o_O

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Raxco has discontinued sellng it. It is still available from two other resellers.

8. wilbertnl

Peter, how could they let you down o_O When did they stop listening to you?

9. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

It could be that it's because of a discovered flaw in doing offline defrags with vista using VSS as i pointed out before in another thread.

10. Peter2150

Probably when I stopped buying more licenses. I guess I just didn't add new computers fast enough:D

I don't know if you saw my post in one of the threads in S and S, but I played with the concept of using ShadowProtect in lieu of FDISR. I can take automatic increments in 3-6 seconds which provides "snapshot". Just can't restore quite as fast as FDISR can.

Actually until Raxco proves me wrong, I trust based on past experience that they will honor their agreement. Right now they are a tad slow, only because one person is out on leave.

11. wilbertnl

I missed that thread. :ouch:

Does SP offer differential images? If so, it would be interesting to test if you are able to maintain conflicting configurations.
    Example:
    You have a template image that contains a clean system and from that you create a differential image with Eset NOD32 antivirus, and you create a second differential image from the same template with Norton antivirus.
    The result is that you can restore to 'template' if you want a clean system, you restore to 'Eset' or 'Norton' to get the desired configurations.

Yes, restoring takes more time. We need 'differential restore' that only writes back the sectors that are different. :D

12. Peter2150

Actually it does incrementals, but I think you could still do it.
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. But will test. Differential restore is an interesting concept. Hmm

EDIT. Went back and looked. When you do the Backup now you can also do differentials. I tried that early on, with no time saving.

The incrementals are when you schedule jobs. You can set up a job and also force it between times. I am running 30 minute incrementals with no impact on my machines, the incrementals are fairly small, and take an average of 5 to 10 seconds. I did one after windows update and it took, about 30 seconds.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  13. wilbertnl

If it's possible to restore any but the last incremental and then take a new incremental image, then it might work well...
    If you draw a picture you would see incremental images that are parallels in the 'tree'.

This doesn't work with Acronis, because TrueImage doesn't restore the exact state of the disk, and an incremental would take as much space as a full image.

14. Peter2150

I'll have to add it to my play list and try, but I know you'd have to keep track manually.

15. wilbertnl

...and give the incrementals descriptive names.

16. Peter2150

Unfortunately right now you can't do that. The tracking system names them so it can keep track.

This really isn't mean for the Rollback type purpose, but it sure can be handy to discover you have a point in time to restore back to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.