Nothing but problems with NOD32 v4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by enduser999, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I am having problems with 4.0.314 on XP SP3 machines and having horrible response from Windows explorer when downloading files via FFox. Noticed that there was a newer build 424 so I downloaded the business version (since that is what these machines are running) and tried installing it on one computer over top of the 314 build. That was a big mistake. First got several messages that the account (admin) did not have rights to install. So I uninstalled it and rebooted and deleted the directory. NOD32 installs and seems to update ok. Then I reboot and it complains that it can not communicate with the kernal!

So in otherwords the computer is sans antivirus! During the install I shutdown any software firewall.

Quickly loosing confidence in NOD32 as the lockups are so severe at times that it is almost impossible to even shutdown systray applications let alone going to "Go to Protection status -> Statistics and check what file is being scanned by antivirus and antispyware protection.".

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. DannyT

DannyT ESET Support

3. enduser999

Thanks but I have reverted back to NOD32 v3 on all the machines that were having problems with ver 4 and are not with version 3.

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Do you have an ETA for the new build? I'm just about to build new packages on 15 separate severs, so I might just as well wait....

Jim

5. Kona

Kona Registered Member

I'm also keen to know when the new version is released. Will this need to be downloaded manually from ESET or will the update tool in NOD32 do it for me?

Cheers.

6. Elisa Tese Rotca

Elisa Tese Rotca Registered Member

I always see the "new versions" in new package.

I'm happy to have a new version, is like to go shopping! :D

Cheers.....

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

As I am sure you are probably already aware the new build is a available for download. 4.0.437.

As for the original issues in this thread. When you uninstall the ESET software make sure that you are doing it through the start menu>>all programs>>ESET>>ESET NOD32 Antivirus>>Uninstall option. Not through add remove programs. You can do it from add remove programs, the problem is that when you invoke the un-install from add remove programs Windows controls it and may not get the process done. When you start the un-install from the ESET folder you are starting the actual ESET uninstaller, which I personally see much more successes with.

-Cheers

8. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Please provide specific, detailed reasons why ESET software is the only software in the world that is incapable of properly programming an uninstaller that works from the Add/Remove Programs...

Or, please stop posting ridiculous fantasy reasons why people are having so many problems with the latest versions.

I was a NOD32 fanboy until I started reading these boards watching for the majority of the serious problems to be reported as fixed... for the first time since I first installed NOD32 (2.5), I'm beginning to wonder if I will be renewing our 60+ site license when it comes due...

I've been hearing gret things about Norton 2009 (can't believe I'm saying *that*!) - and if their next major release of their Corporate Edition is built on the same tech, I just may give it a go if ESET hasn't solved these problems by then.

9. enduser999

I found it kinda of ironic that Eset has links for removing the competitors antivirus software yet the complete removal of NOD32 still has to be done by hand.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you still have a problem removing ESET's product completely?

11. enduser999

No I have installed version 4 back on two computers here to see if the current build has fixed any of the problems I have been having. Would of thought that Eset would of had cleanup utils that would be able to do the thorough removal of any traces of NOD32 rather than having end users, some of which have never ventured into the registry to delete keys.

12. Marcos

If there's a problem with uninstallation, we actually provide clients with a removal tool on demand. However, it should be used as the last option if everything else fails.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good to know, but why as a last option?

14. Marcos

Because it performs direct operations with the registry and files. It's better to prefer safer ways of removing software.

15. tsherr

tsherr Registered Member

Can you post a link to here so that we don't have to go through support to get it? That would save us time.

I've never had a problem uninstalling NOD32, nor have I had any problems with V4, so maybe I've just been lucky, but since I sell NOD32, it would be nice to have the uninstaller in case I need it.

T

16. Marcos

Since the tool modifies the registry and files directly, it will be provided only on demand to those who're unable to uninstall EAV/ESS by standard means. For instance, after running the tool on Windows 7 you'd need to reconfigure the network settings (I reckon we've already notified MS about this).

17. a_kerbouchard

a_kerbouchard Registered Member

I need the removal tool bad for my 35+ servers.

18. Marcos

Have you already contacted customer care? Have you been unable to uninstall / remove ESET using other tools, including uninstallation in safe mode? Since running the uninstall tool is risky, we always suggest backing up crucial data prior to running it and I'd never recommend using it on a server. I'd prefer a manual uninstall / removal, but since I have no clue about the issue you're having I cannot give you any further advice without knowing more information.

19. a_kerbouchard

I have contacted customer service but I have not heard a reply in 36 hours. I cannot uninstall from start-programs-eset-uninstall. I get an error about permissions in the registry and none of the files get removed from the registry or in under program files. This is vers 4.0.424. I can't go into safe mode on 21 of the servers as they are remote servers at branch locations and Im not driving 7 hours to uninstall an antivirus for a file/print server. I have not had one uninstall for this version work and Im left with a broken install with no way to manually remove.

20. a_kerbouchard

Okay here is my manual uninstall process so far, since the uninstall has never worked for me by their recommended way.

Use Killbox.exe to replace ekrn.exe with a dummy file ekrn.exe (made in notepad) on reboot.

Reboot.

Use Unlocker 1.8.7 and move the Eset Antivirus folder in program files and documents and settings.

Reboot

Delete those folders

Delete the registry entries in HKLM and HKCU

Use Windows Install Cleanup utillity to remove the remnants of NOD32

Reboot

Reinstall Version 3

Repeat 35 times

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  21. a_kerbouchard

Think I would rather have that removal utility.

22. a_kerbouchard

If I remove the passwords for accessing the configuration files I can uninstall fine. I wasn't doing remote uninstalls, so I assume this is a bug.

23. Stealth111

Stealth111 Registered Member

I NEED that removal tool. I have a bunch of machines that had the beta 4.0.68 installed on them, and they will not allow a clean uninstall at all. I do not really have the time to sit at each machine forever manually removing all of the components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.