Notebook hardware support issue

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alan Becker, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Becker

Alan Becker Registered Member

I am setting up new Win XP notebook units, and have experienced a hardware compatibility issue. These units are based on a recent Intel mainboard (965) with the Santa Rosa chipset. RAM is 1G, CPU is Core2 Duo.

Before I even installed TI, I tried booting with existing, tested, working Rescue media, from versions 10.0.4871, 11.0.8027, and 11.0.8053. In all cases, the initial boot process runs, the first menu screen is displayed, then the system locks. The mouse and keyboard are both unresponsive, and the system must be powered off to proceed.

If someone can suggest boot option(s) that might correct this, I'll be happy to try again.

I will attempt to build a Bart PE CD to fill the void for now, but Acronis should look at this hardware soon, as I understand that many notebook makers are moving their products over to this mb/chipset.

If any debug info is of interest, I'll gladly try to collect it, but don't know how successful the attempt would be, as the lockup comes very quickly.

I WAS able to boot the system from a Knoppix 5.1 CD, but even there, the keyboard is not recognized properly at first. At the screen where boot options are selected, no keystrokes are recognized (further evidence that this hardware is different in some basic fashion). Knoppix appears to work correctly once it is fully booted.

A. Becker

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I can't of much help but did you try both full and safe modes?

3. Alan Becker

I would have loved to try Safe mode, but the machine locks at the menu where such a choice would be made.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Are these Dells by any chance? There have been some threads with True Image problems on Dells.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Alan,

If not already done, try the acpi=off noapic (watch the syntax!!) work around as detailed in Section II of the Acronis sticky thread titled Please Read Before You Post.

Regards

Menorcaman

6. Alan Becker

Thanks for the suggestions. I will respond to the last 2 posts together.

(1) No, these notebooks are not Dell. They are "Nobilis" model N4030 units. Nobilis is a house brand for Equus Computer.

(2) Thanks, Menorcaman for reminding me about that Sticky post. I won't be back where the units are till Monday, and I'll see then what I can do. I am doubtful these methods will help, as the system locks at or before the Options menu, which is where you enter the boot options. TrueImage brings up a pre-boot system that is enough to display the options screen, get a response, and launch the real boot of the Recovery Linux kernel. This hardware is different enough that it doesn't even operate the pre-boot system correctly. I don't know if the pre-boot system has the ability to accept boot options, but I believe that is what would be required.

7. Alan Becker

A final update . . .
    This issue is resolved. I opened a case with TrueImage tech support, and they were most helpful. They first sent me a link to a Recovery CD ISO that is stamped as build 8052. This booted up and ran just fine, so at that point, I had what I needed to make the required backups. Also, sometime later I installed 11.0.8053 to the notebook, and tried again to make a Recovery CD. This time the recovery CD booted correctly and operated properly on all the tests I tried.

Thanks for your attention.
    Al Becker

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Have you tried to restore, selecting source and target? Have you tried to do a My Data backup of files? Those things might not work even though partiotn backups work. Best to test and be sure.

9. Alan Becker

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have done a partition restore, and it was successful. I have not played with the Files operations, as I don't have much call for those operations when operating under a Rescue CD. I will try some basic tests and report the results.

Regards,
    Al Becker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.