Note to alternative browsers: Drop the religion

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

IE 4.0 was the point that I, and most others, ditched Netscape.

Lessons to be learned
    There was such a thing as “standard HTML” back in the day when Netscape bestrode the industry like the giant lizard that was its mascot. It didn’t matter very much, as Netscape paid scant attention to what the standardization people were doing. Frames appeared on Netscape first, a technology that was included belatedly in sanctioned HTML. Most people who have written a bit of JavaScript have heard of the navigator object, something which originally appeared in Netscape Navigator (hence the name) and which still exists in most JavaScript implementations (including IE’s) even though no official standard exists for it.

ZDNet

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Makes sense to me, you can have your basics that never change, but, that is not real life! No changes usually mean stagnation. Programmers need to get on the offensive, don't stay boring, don't get mad, GET EVEN!!:)

My two cents!

Marja:cool:

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Interesting story, Ron.:)

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I agree that that browser preference has become a haven for fanaticism. For example, check out various reviews for Firefox. Fans don't like this browser, they worship it and they tend to bash Internet Explorer mercilessly. I use Opera myself because I find it quicker (especially on dial-up) than IE/Firefox. All are very usable and have various pluses and minuses.

It would be nice if Opera/Firefox had the flexible standards of IE and render pages like IE does.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Good point.

I personally switched to Firefox around 3 months back and I do love it.
    However, I also don't bash IE, and I was quite happy with that [not the standard, I used MyIE, etc. using IE's engine core] but at least I had it configured security wise to meet my needs.

After all, you still need it for WU, so no matter how much one bashes it, they still have to rely on it for WU's, and they still need to be security conscious.

Cheers, TAS

6. fanaticism

fanaticism Guest

Fanaticism can be found anywhere in the software world. I could point out the vim versus emacs debates for one. But for one more particular to this forum, just look at the which AV is best debates !

7. Operarulez

Operarulez Guest

LOL, the opera people have being known to be very fanatical themselves. Many of us are here too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.