Not sure if this is an anti-virus related problem...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Deepshadows, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deepshadows

Deepshadows Registered Member

Recently (i play WoW, World of Warcraft), I got a new case and power supply for my comp prior to the expansion pack of Burning crusade coming out. I took all my parts from my old case, and put them in the new one, accompanied by the new power supply. After doing this my computer seemed to run at about its normal rate, no problems (but i was not playing wow from this time till the expansion pack came out).

Then about two days before the expansion pack came out, my norton system works subscription wore out. This along with my spy-sweeper program subscription wore out. (the programs i have on my comp. for mal-ware relief are ad-aware SE, spy-bot, norton system works, spy sweeper, and ewido (now the new AVG system). Computer still seemed to run noticibly fine and normal till release date of WoW expansion...

On the day of release I of course installed the game right away... to find that I was having a lag problem every now and then. This problem did not however start occuring until the day after installation... The lag problem proceeded for a duration of about 3-4 four hours, and worsened as it went on. Finally, at about 4 and a half hours of play, my computer stopped for a min, then went to a blue screen (some call this the blue screen of death when thier computer prompts them with an error message that something obviously went wrong). Before i had the chance to read anything other than "dumping physical memory", the screen went out and my comp shut off...

I turned my comp back on, logged back onto wow... Lag again... for about 5 minutes this time and then the blue screen again... again it goes too fast for me to read what the possible problem may be. It is at this point and time i became concerned so i began running all of my programs listed above (including my out of date norton and spy sweep) and they each found nothing to be "wrong" with my computer.

From that day on till now, i have had constant problems with my computer running smoothly at 0-4% CPU with all and any application minimized, or no applications running. However, when I run any program, the CPU usage jumps around spurratically... I removed my out of date norton from my computer (after running some defrags with it) and my spy sweeper... as well as WoW the BC and then reinstalled that program. I also did a sweep through all of my computer removing all programs that i do not use anymore.

Coming back from this my brother offered me the program smit fraud fix in which i ran in safe mode (all of my other scans i mentioned were also done in normal, and in safe mode). This seemed to help a little, but my computer still runs at about 6-100% when i have a web page up, and 80-100% when i play WoW the BC. One other thing i did, is i checked in my computer to see if all my hardware was attached correctly (my video cards power supply attachment didnt seem to quite be pushed in all the so i was able to push it in a little more.) Upon doing so, i remembered also being told that some of Nvidia's new drivers were not working quite so correctly and i was concerned that could also be a problem, so i reverted back to v. 77.77.

Does anyone see anything that i have done wrong in all of these processes... IDK what to do short of taking it to the shop, which i don't want to do, and i am just running out of ideas b/c i have tried to think of everything... and the only thing i can really think of is that i might have to buy an all new processor and video card, which would mean i would also have to buy a new motherboard, resulting in me also having to buy 2 gigs of ram as well... is there anyone who can think of anything, anything at all that might help me outo_O

Is there something simple i am missing... or is there some possibility that my scan programs are missing something... ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  2. Deepshadows

Am i in the wrong forum for this?

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Deepshadows, welcome to Wilders.

I have moved your thread here where it should receive better attention. I also tend to think you could have an overheating problem that may be the cause of this issue.

I have also broken up your single block of text into paragraphs to make it a little easier to read.

Cheers :D

4. Deepshadows

5. Deepshadows

i don't believe it is a overheating problem... i have several fans on the inside of my comp... as well as a pretty nicely sized heat sink on my processor and a fan.... plus i just turned off my comp and poked around and all the fans seem to be working properly as well as the sink, and i have plenty of cooling jelly (i believe that is what that is called) between the processor and sink... i just don't know... i feel like i have tried everything... i just got the trail version of onecare on my comp to see if it can find anything.

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Quote:

"On the day of release I of course installed the game right away... to find that I was having a lag problem every now and then. This problem did not however start occuring until the day after installation... The lag problem proceeded for a duration of about 3-4 four hours, and worsened as it went on. Finally, at about 4 and a half hours of play, my computer stopped for a min, then went to a blue screen (some call this the blue screen of death when thier computer prompts them with an error message that something obviously went wrong). Before i had the chance to read anything other than "dumping physical memory", the screen went out and my comp shut off..."

right mouse-click on 'My Computer' icon and go MANAGE
    then select EVENTVIEWER. The following logs can be displayed

or

Go to the Start Menu, then to Settings, then to the Control Panel. Go to Administrative Tools. then open event viewer

also try this..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/42257/42257.html

This is an example why it might help.
    http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25245&hl=User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  7. Deepshadows

i think i will look into the log thing, but not so sure about the users thing... cuz i am the only user of this computer, its my own personal one among my family, so i am the only account holder as well. but that was great information to know. ty for the help. if anyone else has any ideas please keep them coming. i am really appreciating this.

8. Deepshadows

Thanks for the info about checking the log...

These are some of the things that come up as of the 22nd:
    Source: W32Time
    The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

The Second and Third problems were recurring errors and warnings that occur a couple of times a day since the crash:
    Recurring Error throughout about 20 minutes:
    Source: atapi
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
    (This also happened a few times before the first error)

Recurring Warning throughout about 2 minutes, about 18 minutes after the first error:
    Source: disk
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Informations pop up directly after a large # of errors and warnings in under a minute:
    Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

Error directly after a large # of errors and warnings in under a minute:
    The device 'WDC WD307AA-00BAA0' (IDE\DiskWDC_WD307AA-00BAA0______________________10.09K11\4457572d414d4632303137323437_035_0_0_0_0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Any ideas what any of this could mean??

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  9. Primrose

Makes no difference..it( User Profile Hive Cleanup Service) will still work for you as a single user..links have been corrected.

If you come up with any info in the event viiewer under system or application...for that error at the time it happened and you want help..then post the info..or use the built in feature of the event veiwer..by highlighting the error..then hit the action tab..then properties and go from there..

10. Primrose

The Second and Third problems were recurring errors, and warnings:
    Recurring Error throughout about 20 minutes:
    Source: atapi
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
    (This also happened a few times before the first error)

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: atapi
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 9
    Date: 1/25/2007
    Time: 10:01:28 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: Yours ;)
    Description:
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

IDE Port 0 is usually also known as the Primary IDE port, and Port 1 as the
    Secondary IDE Port. Which mean that on the motherboard you have 2 sockets
    side by side, one of which the cable plugs into that also connects to your C
    drive (that's the Port 0 aka Primary IDE Port). Sometimes instead of 0 it is
    1 and instead of 1 it is 2 (go figure; by long standing convention it's
    supposed to be referred to as 0 and 1, not 1 and 2).

It is somewhat likely that you have a device on Port 1 that is failing.
    Unplug the flat ribbon cable for all devices except for drive C, and then
    try reconnecting one at a time and watch for the error. Be absolutely sure
    that the power is off whenever you disconnect or connect the cable -- they
    are not meant to be "hot swapped" and failure to follow that advice could
    result in physical damage. Also note the orientation of the red stripe on
    the flat ribbon cable, most are keyed to prevent it but plugging it in
    backwards is possible in some cases and would surely result in physical
    damage if that happens.

Once you find the offending device, try substituting it with another and see
    if the problem returns (it probably will not). Note that IDE devices use
    jumpers for proper configuration and improper configuration can cause data
    loss or even physical damages. Take it to a tech if all this makes you
    nervous! Anyway, if the problem remains with a substitute device then you
    probably have a defective or failing IDE Controller chip on the motherboard,
    but otherwise the device that was substituted is probably on the verge of
    complete failure and SP2 was just making it more noticeable. CD drives
    beginning to fail are a common cause of the type of problem that you seem to
    have.

A remote possibility is that you need to obtain the latest drivers from the
    motherboard or chipset manufacture. I do not recommend trying that unless
    you have an bootable (and tested!) image backup of your current C drive. It
    is also possible, as a last resort, that your motherboard BIOS needs
    updating -- something I'm very loath to do, myself, because if the "flash"
    doesn't work then the BIOS must be physically replaced on the motherboard
    (there is no recovery from a bad BIOS flash).

11. Deepshadows

I noticed that several of the errors have to do with the D drive... on the day that me and my friend transfered all of the parts, when we were putting my hard drive in... a metal piece that was inproperly mad (which we later took out) pierced the side of one of the drives... possibly the D drive, but the only thing that it did was cut through a metalic sticker that comes on all drives. My friend and i were thinking that it couldnt have harmed the drive otherwise it wouldn't be working at all, or would be having physical problems... but is it a possibility that it would just slowly break itself down and then start causing all the problems i am having?

12. Primrose

Have to look at the rest of the stuff you posted..but right now it's 12:19 AM in my neck of the woods and have to shove off to bed.:ninja:

13. Deepshadows

hahah. yeah, well you have been a huge help thus far. thanks a ton, and if you don't have the time to get back to me on this, i understand. Thanks a billion... the news about what could possibly be wrong is looking like i may need a new motherboard...

14. Primrose

15. Primrose

16. Primrose

Go into your BIOS and make sure that it states for your harddirve that it not only recognizes it..but also that it recognizes the real size of that drive and not something smaller.

I am at a disadvantage to really help you..no matter what errors you find..unless I know what you put together including hardware and software..so you could help by posting the info from this program in your next post.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.
    Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003.
    Browsers: Requires IE 3 or Netscape 3, and higher versions. Also runs on Opera, Mozilla, and Firefox.
    File size: 1048 KB.
    License: The license associated with this product allows for free personal use only. Use on multiple PCs in a corporate, educational, military or government installation is prohibited. See the license agreement for details.
    Wish to run the Belarc Advisor on your corporate network, see FAQs below.

Also.. your Master File Table $MFT could be corrupted.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/archMFT-c.html

Also I do not know how you partitioned your harddrive under NTFS ..it can get tricky with WinXP and larger drives

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/archPart-c.html

sometimes all that can be fixed with Partition Magic Pro 8

17. Deepshadows

First, I ran a find action for Event ID: 4226 and had several. right now, i am currently downloading Belarc. i will have more to come on my system stats ect. in a few minutes. Also, I looked into the system cache issue, and my computer is running off of the correct object, and not the system cache.

18. Deepshadows

Here are the specs that Belarc found, however, I did take out some informations such as my network info and my name due to confidentiality issues (i did however keep my ip and and gateway so that you knew what kind of router i had... irrelevent or not... and yes i am aware that D-Links suck). Also, the reason that my computer is showing so many CD-ROM drives is because I have Daemon tools (these would be the first 3 drives it shows I believe):

^^^ I am actually unaware of what some of these programs are... ^^^

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  19. Deepshadows

I downloaded the windows program, does this just run in the background... or is something that you have to bring up and run... because i cant find it.

20. Deepshadows

I will be at work tonight and won't be on until later, if anyone has anything to add, please do, all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will probably be able to check back in around 12-1 EST. Thanks all.

21. Primrose

22. Deepshadows

I opted to get a new hard drive. After doing so, I loaded my windows on and all my drivers... except my sound card driver. When I found that I no longer had my sound cards driver disk. I figured, no big deal, I will just go to Creative's website and download my driver there. After some searching, I was able to find the driver to my Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit sound card... but there is a problem, when I tried to download it, I recieved an error that read as code 5002. I looked for this error on the internet, and it appeared that other users of the card had the same problem, only their problem was fixed by merely putting their cd driver in the rom drive and then running the program... Any comments?

23. Primrose

Yes..used to have a great thread about that on our website..can't find it now..but your problem has to do with the fact you do not have the CD..so people have to trick it..bascically this is how..when you do the install and it asks for the CD to complete the process..it still put all the stuff you really need in your TEMP file..so you just then manually get the stuff from your temp file and install it that way..

example

http://www.download.com/Creative-So...ws-98SE-Me-2000-XP-/3640-2120_4-10279949.html

Run the install, which then fails.

Go into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Sound Video and Game Controllers > Properties tab for my sound card > Driver > Update Driver ...

Then 'Install from a specific location' > 'Don't Search I will choose the driver to install' > 'Have Disk'

Then point windows to driver file that the failed install unzipped itself to, this is C:\WINDOWS\Temp\CRF000\Drivers\WDM\wdma_emu.inf

The drivers will then hopefully install properly.

24. Primrose

Still can't find that thread at the Gladiator Security Forum I made..but it went like this..

I had this problems also :

Download the Web Update version of the Surround Mixer from Creative, but don't run the setup file, it will detect if the mixer is alread install or not and won't let you update unless it finds and exisiting install of it.

Instead, since it is an self extrating archive, use WinRAR to extract it to a temp folder. In your temp folder you'll now find a sub folder named SURMIX2, go in there and run the setup.exe file there and the mixer will install.

You can use the same procedure for the Audigy Drivers and the HQ control panel without having to install all the stuff from the original CD. This makes a nice clean install of the whole Audigy Drivers and Software. Another great thing to point out, I was able to get the the WDM drivers to install on a Win98 box with full SoundFont support too!

from here:
    http://au.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
    or
    http://nl.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/

25. Deepshadows

hey. thanks. i have one problem with using that technique, i dont have winRAR, is this a downloadable program? I know what it is, but i dont have it. Also, another strange observation that i made, that i noticed before i changed the hardrive on my computer, that is still happening now, if i leave my computer on for a while, my hard drive will start beeping... its strange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.