Not sure how to do backups

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ohblu, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

What are some different ways I can go about backing up two hard drives (on an XP) if the computer is super slow from possible malware and if one of the drives is not accessible due to bad blocks? I'm not sure if I should attempt this myself or if I should leave it to a professional. The computer in question is not mine.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you haven't done it before, to try doing it for the first time on a possibly infected computer seems to me inappropriate. If I were you I'd try to simply copy the most important personal data onto an external USB harddrive and/ or to DVDs (CDs too if it is easier).

Then I would try either to reinstall Windows from its original CD/DVD if available, or try to cleanup the computer with several programs (MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, Avira CD to name a few good cleaners).

Keep in mind that normally one backups a clean computer, so the first course of action IMO would be to find out why the computer in question is slow.

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

I think that "Osaban" gives sound advice for the situation....
    but I also think that you ought to explain to your friends that even experienced people could "face some problems" with the kind of problems they are having with their computer so perhaps you just ought to hand over the task to someone else, like a professional of their choice. Then at least if something goes wrong then it was no fault of yours.
    The rule is , as I see it : "The last person has not been born that wishes you to fix all their problems for free" , low or no pay , great responsebility , and often very little gratitude. And the less they understands about computers the more likely they are to blame whoever touched the darn thing last (of course never counting themselves - as they do not understand the consequences of their own actions) and that means you , so the less they understand the more likely you are to be blamed for any problems or incompatability "from now on until doomsday" , even if they caused these problems themselves by doing something they didn't understand the consequence of or if you are up against odds that are defenitely not in you favor....
    So often you are better of just saying no....

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If you still wish to have these people as friends then let a pro fix/screw up their pc.

5. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

Fiat_Lux

hi that is very well put..sound advice and i agree .some time its best to say sorry,I cant fix that you need a expert.gets one of the hook.
    itsmej

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.