Not following how to restore

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by marley1, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marley1

marley1 Registered Member

We are testing Drive Backup 9, and have loaded the software on our production SBS 2003 server which is a Dell with Raid 5 SCSI drives. We created a full image and saved it to an External USB drive. We did a Backup Disk or Partition and selected the entire partition. We also installed Adaptive Restore on this server.

We created the Revoery Media Builder, booted off of it into Safe Mode, selected the merged archive file and then at the next screen it gave an issue about not seeing a drive or asking to partition a new drive.

We are testing this to restore on a cheap Dell T100 server which is just a single proc amd opteron and a single drive. We will then try this with a test Raid server too.

What are we doing wrong? The directions a tech sent me looked completely different then what we are seeing.

Do you really have to load the OS first, just a vanilla copy of the source OS and then load up the Paragon software? You can't just restore from a backup and a bootable cd?

2. Paragon_Cisco

Paragon_Cisco Paragon Moderator

Hello marley1,

Are you running the Simple Restore Wizard"? If you select the first option from the menu "Drive Backup" does it recognize the Hard Drive?

You may have to use the WinPE Advanced Recovery CD (Vista based boot environment) to do the restore. If you are using SCSI controllers you will have to add the Vista 32bit compatible driver under Tools\Add Driver.

3. marley1

Where is the Simple Restore Wizard? Maybe I burned the wrong disk?

I loaded Drive Backup 9 on our server, created a full backup, selected on the Left Side - Recovery Media Builder and created a bootable flash drive.

When I boot off that I get Normal Mode and Safe Mode, Normal mode didn't give me any video so I did Safe Mode. I selected restore and it saw the archive but said no Disk to restore to or didn't give me option to restore.

I am booting off this with a fresh drive in the computer.

You can restore directly off CD with a Image right?

4. marley1

Maybe I am using the wrong bootable media?

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Marley,

Like Cisco mentioned above, I would suggest using the WinPE CD. It's a separate download available in your account. The Linux disk won't work with your controller since it doesn't have the drivers. WinPE CD has the option to load your own drivers which will work with virtually any hardware. Have a set of Vista 32bit drivers available for your controller before you perform the restore.

https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/login.htm

6. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Marley,

There are two Recovery CD's included with the latest Paragon products. The Standard CD is created through the main application using the Recovery Media Builder (this is what you did) and it creates a hybrid boot disc with Linux (Normal Mode) and DOS (Safe Mode).

It seems your system is not compatible with the Linux environment (probably video related), and DOS does not support USB or LAN controllers which is why it did not see your external drive.

The Advanced WinPE Recovery CD as Tommy and Cisco have mentioned is available as a seperate download in your account page. You can login using the link below:
    https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/login.htm

WinPE is delevered as an EXE file. Run the file to launch the Unpack & Burn Wizard, and follow the steps to either burn a bootable CD/DVD or extract the ISO file. To write WinPE on your flash (256MB min.), extract the ISO file first, then go into the Recovery Media Builder, choose Flash Memory, and choose the 2nd option for User Specified Image, then browse to this ISO. Please note there is a 512MB RAM required for WinPE.

WinPE can accept additional 3rd party drivers once you have booted from it. If you see an error that your 'disk is absent' or your 'network is not started', or if the disk you need to work on is absent, then you would use the Load Drivers feature to insert your RAID or LAN driver. You should supply 32-bit Vista or 2008 drivers when using WinPE, regardless of the OS installed on the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.