Not backing up everything

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cbird01, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbird01

cbird01 Registered Member

I downloaded the trial version in December. I did a disk clone at that time. It may have been a full disk backup, I am not sure of the difference. My used space is 23.5 GB. I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 C:\ with a 200 GB Sata drive Backup D:\ connected via 1394 cable.

My goal is simply to have a full backup, then do incremental backups every time I shutdown my computer.

In February, I decided to purchase version 10. I have build 4871. I uninstalled trial version and installed 10. The first thing I wanted to do is an incremental backup. I asked it to do that on Feb 7 and it created a file on the root of my external backup drive and made a file of 19GB named backup.tib. Again on Feb 9 a file of 600MB named Backup2.tib. Again on Feb 17 a file of 13.4GB.

Each time I went in the backup wizard and chose backup My Computer, then checked drive C (main), then chose D (backup) for backup archive location.

The problem is that changes that I have made since the December backup are not showing up on the D: drive even after the 3 backups since then.

I believe my problem is in how I executed the "backup archive location" step. There was no tib file to be found on my first incr backup after the initial trial backup(maybe bacause I did a clone?). I think I just chose D: as the location. The second time I think I chose the now existing tib file created on my 1st incr backup. The third incr last night..I am not sure what I chose..I was really tired.

So what did I do wrong and what do I need to do to fix it?

I have since sent some critical files manually to the D: drive in case something bad happens before I fix this. I have also downloaded the latest build and plan on uninstalling the old build and fresh install the new one, but I will wait until I get some direction on this issue.

Current C: 23.45GB, Current D: 44.7GB (from explorer)
    During backup, at "partition selection" ATI says disk 2 (D) has 31.89 used space. Disk 1 correlates to explorer used space.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. cbird01

cbird01 Registered Member

Anyone?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cbird01,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

Please notice that incremental backup contains only the data that has been changed since last full or incremental backup creation. Therefore, to create or restore an incremental backup you need the initial full backup and all previous incremental backups. If you choose to create an incremental backup when the full one isn't available, the full one will be created instead. For more details on full, incremental and differential backups please refer to the chapter 3.2 "Full, incremental and differential backups" of the respective User's Guide.

You can automate backup creation by setting a scheduled task (you can set it to perform at PC shutdown as well). See chapter 8 "Scheduling tasks" of the respective User's Guide for details.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.