Not a True Image archive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dennis Lyon, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Lyon

Dennis Lyon Registered Member

Using ver 9, I do a complete image, the process says it was successful but then I go to Check the archive and I get the above message.

I've tried this with different source and destination partitions but always the same error.

Consequently, the program is now useless.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What build are you using? You can get it at the top of the Help About window.

Are you creating and validating in Windows or are you using the Recovery CD in some part of the process?

Common cause of this problem is creating the archive with build 3567 or later and then validating it with an earlier build, usually from an old recovery CD or on another machine.

3. Dennis Lyon

Dennis Lyon Registered Member

I'm using 3677.

I am first creating the image in Windows, it says it completed successfully and then I immediately chose Validate and get the error.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Create a backup archive on an internal drive since they are less troublesome than an external until you have determined the external works.

Try to validate it. You may have well done this already based on your first post.

Validation is done by TI reading the archive file and calculating a checksum. The checksum is compared to the one contained in the archive created at the time of backup. If they differ the archive is declared corrupt. It only takes 1bad bit to cause this. The data in the archive is NOT compared to the data on the source disk.

A HW cause for this is bad RAM. Also, your RAM should not be run with aggessive timings and your system should not be overclocked. TI puts a demanding load on your memory and disk systems and will show up problems that normally are not seen in regular operation.

Download the free memory diagnostic program Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and run it for several passes, preferably overnight.

If you have multiple sticks of memory in your system and it will run on only 1, try doing the validate with each stick in turn and see if the cures/causes the problem.

Look in the XP Event Logger System log and see if there are any entries concerning disk read problems or any other hardware problems occuring when the archive is validated.

Since you have tried different destinations, it is unlikely there is a bad area on your destination disk. However, it won't hurt to run on all your partitions, chkdsk X: /r substitute the drive letter for the partition being tested for X. It will require a reboot to test C.

5. elee63c

elee63c Registered Member

I just purchased TI 9.0 (3677) and had a similar problem. I backuped my drive onto DVD RW which required 2 Discs and when I tried to restore from the selected archive on the DVD RW disc 1 I got the message that It was not a True Image archive or that the file was corrupt. I got nowhere with Acronis, so I experimented and found that I had to load DVD RW disc 2 to start the restore and was prompted several times to change the discs form 1 to 2 the restore was successful. I made it even easier by buying a DVD DL disc and backed up the drive on 1 disc.

I hope this helps you?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dennis Lyon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please do the following along with seekforever's suggestions:

- Create a new image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and then validate this image when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

- Create a new image archive when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. And collect the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.