Not a lot of people know this - or do they ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kas, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have known about Mawarebytes for a long time and recently read a post on this Forum saying how wonderful it was as a very efficient malware freebie.
    Many other glowing tributes are paid to MWB on the net.

I downloaded it and have found it a marvelous asset in my arsenal against infectious material coming at me like a Tsunami. I use it every day and am highly delighted. I would recommend anybody who swans around in bandit country thinking life is all bees and honey, to get it now.

POINT TO NOTE ;-
    Many security packs have the facility to freeze the Homepage to prevent hijackers grabbing it. I use Spywareblaster. Just check a box and SWB puts an entry in the register which wipes out the Homepage section into a grey mush in Internet Options under TOOLS on the IE page.

Fine, now they can grab somebody else`s HP but not mine.

MWB then comes along and checks my system for bugs, finds the SWB register entry and clobbers it as a Homepage HIJACK attempt. Into the quarantine box it goes marked in red.

I had this happen 6 times and each time deleted the item by clicking REMOVE.
    This immediately unchecked the SWB HP freeze box and brought the Internet Options HP tab back to life.

I did not know this and thought the matter was a real threat. THEN I tumbled it after reading exactly that problem on the MWB forum.

When MWB picks up a register entry which is subject to HP protection made by another program, the item listed in MWB report as a threat, MUST not be REMOVED, but placed in the MWB IGNORE list by clicking IGNORE.

Next time MWB scans, it will ignore the item and our HP protection entered on another program pack will not then be jeopardised.
    KAS

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

MBAM
    I'm placing this more common acronym, insofar as Wilders usage, to aid in search for relevant info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.