Not a fan of RVS Pro...

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Defenestration, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

As I mentioned in another one of my threads, I currently use Shadow Defender, which is small and has a nice clean simple UI with nearly everything I want in a freezing/shadow type of app, except for shadowing to RAM.

Below are my comments for RVS Pro:

PROS
    1. Browse registry feature is useful, although this is extremely basic. For example,
    • Can't copy keys
    • Can't select/copy multiple values in one go
    • Can't delete a value/key

CONS
    1. Not a fan of the skinned UI. <RANT> Why oh why do individual vendors feel the need to add their own skinning to each app, thereby bloating it up and making it look ugly ? Windows has it's own theming system, and if I really wanted to skin further, then I might use something like Window Blinds, so I can get every app looking the way I like. Use standard windows controls, and let the users customise the look. Less, is more, as they say.</RANT>

2. UI layout isn't too bad, but still nowhere as simple as SD's.

3. No display of space used by virtual mode

4. No option to drop or keep changes on confirmation dialog when stopping virtual mode. The Virtual Mode settings should be used as defaults for the options on this dialog, thereby minimising clicks.

5. No context menu entry for files/folders to commit changes (with options to also commit deletions or deletions only)

If I set the "Percentage of free disk space used for the Virtual Mode" to zero percent, does this mean it will only use RAM for the cache ?

Suffice to say, I'll be sticking to SD (if only it had RAM caching), although I'll be keeping an eye on RVS.

2. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

I said something similar, it needs polish that's for sure. Good idea, not very well executed and it slows my system to a crawl:'(

I'm also keeping my eye on this, the program has it's merit. Mod says the slowness is not the program, but I can run at least 4 or 5 other security programs and still not slow the machine like this does. No I don't run that many was just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.