NoScript Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Exactly a week ago I uninstalled NoScript from Firefox after it broke the Internet by getting my IP address accidentally banned (404) from a commercial website I had an account with. This happened when I tried to force the implementation of HTTPS with NoScript on the site in question. Fortunately I could still email them and they unbanned my IP. They obviously need my money lol.

I rarely use Firefox on Windows nowadays as I tend to prefer K-Meleon as my default browser with Maxthon as a back-up. But on Ubuntu, Firefox is the default browser, and my security in Linux is primarily browser hardening. I have the uBlock Origin, Flagfox and WOT extensions. As an alternative to NoScript I have installed PrefBar to toggle JS on/off inter alia, not unlike the privacy bar in K-Meleon (which was the original inspiration for PrefBar).

I had been considering uninstalling NoScript for a long time. I had run it for over six years on Firefox or SeaMonkey, and although I think it’s an excellent extension, I find it essentially superfluous and it just broke too many pages to be beneficial anymore.

Has any other long term user of NoScript stopped using it? If so, why did you uninstall it and have you replaced it with anything?

Firefox on Ubuntu with PrefBar, uBlock Origin, Flagfox and WOT:
    nonoscript.png

2. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I'm using uMatrix as it is much more powerful for various reasons. However, I haven't uninstalled Noscript but allow all scripts in it as they are controlled by uMatrix. But Noscript's other goodies (like its XSS filter and protection against clickjacking) still work even with all scripts allowed.

3. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I'm with summerheat on this .

We have similar setups and I have only good things to say about NoScript , after many years of using it.
    And it has always played nicely with other browser extensions/add-ons that I've tried .

@Daveski17
    If it were me , and something got broken , I'd be looking for another culprit ... just my 2 cents :)

4. Daveski17

That sounds like an interesting compromise. Losing NoScript wasn't an easy decision, but as I use Firefox predominantly on Ubuntu, I don't think it's a huge risk.

5. Daveski17

It was almost certainly NoScript. I'd only ever added two sites to force HTTPS and one of them broke. For me, that's a 50% probability of potentially breaking the Internet. Furthermore, a techie from the site got back to me and agreed that it was NoScript that had almost certainly caused the problem. HTTPS Everywhere (on Chrome) has never caused anything like this for me.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I do the same, except with uBlock Origin in Medium Mode. That said I am still thinking of dropping NoScript. I can't remember the last time NoScript blocked a cross site scripting (except false ones) or click jacking attempts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.