NoScript, Comcast Message Center, About:Blank

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi-

In general I think with Firefox two things are true. 1- I don't need to know as much about how it works, and 2- I don't know as much about how it works.

Anyway, I installed "NoScript" and now it seems like everywhere I turn, it is blocking a script, or asking me to allow one.

One that I don't understand is when I go to comcast mailcenter I am asked to allow About:Blank. My homepage is set as the default firefox home page.

I use spybots tools to look at my search pages and it lists a
    %system Root%\system32\about:blank.htm, but I think that is normal isn't it?
    I use comcasts built in mail client, which probably is linked to About:Blank, but , again, that's normal isn't it?

Should I just put it on the allowed scripts list?

-HandsOff

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Okay, just shut down my browser and did a couple of checks. It seems not to be the mailcenter per se, but when I click on mail from about.com (confusing, eh? about.com if you don't know, has a buch of information "about" things like graphics. I am in that forum and permit it to use cookies.

So...still not sure why About:Blank is jumping out. I would not be surprised if the site does some sort of tracking since it promotes (sort of) graphics products and possibly gets revenue from related sales. And yet, if so, this is all under the surface and not known by me.

Any thoughts? I think I will ask a moderator over there what I should expect, but feel free to comment.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.