nortons 2009 questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

someone i know just bought this.. i am going to help them set it up but i have not used it myself yet so im trying to learn more about it. with the firewall now built it does it actually have app control to simply allow or deny at the choice of the user so when they want something to access the net they can allow it then deny it again? this is something they asked me. also does the hips feature work like a traditional hips or is it a different norton's based type of hips.. i mean is anything changed with it??

i seem to hear everyone raving about this new version, while i have 0 issues with kis2009 has anyone specifically went from kis2009 to nis2009?? what were your findings in resource usage and speed overall. not asking a vs b im specifically wondering overall what your experiences were after using kis2009 and how you feel nis2009 was different and in what ways? i LOVE kis2009 but through our company i can get nis2009 so much less $$ and am considering the change myself.

how has nis2009 been for anyone with respect to cleaning / deleting infected files specifically?

can 2007 and 2008 nis keys be used for 2009 version?

thanks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

3. zfactor

thanks ill read through it.. does nis2009 still install multiple programs.. meaning the updater separate from the program or is it built in now? thanks

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi. Live Update is now part of the main program and not separate anymore.

5. zfactor

thats great one thing i always hated about it...how about the firewall for someone like my mother does it have simple app control?? kis2009 is a bit to much for her. she has a hard time knowing what to do in a lot of cases..i think the nis2009 may be much easier for her

6. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I know a key from NIS 2008 will activate NIS 2009. I previously had NIS 2008 installed on a computer, and when NIS 2009 was released, I installed it and it found my NIS 2008 key. Before the remaining days of my subscription ran out,I found a cheap copy of NIS 2008 online and used that key for another year subscription with NIS 2009.

7. thathagat

thathagat Guest

nis2009 is un-norton like....forget the firewall you won't notice it's there....

8. ugly

ugly Registered Member

It is lighter but I don't feel safe with NIS.
    As an example - it's the first suite that let me download and save to computer eicar com.zip ( standard protocol) file without an warning .
    And it keep on killing my Genius mouse driver ( no exclusion seems to work).
    Just an short experience with it.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

With NIS 2009 I have had not one problem at all it is light and unlike "ugly" it didn't let eicar on my comp. and is compatable with everything on my comp so far. On my other comp I have TMIS 2008 and I would switch it to NIS 2009 but the subscription is until 2011 and I would rather not loose it.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I activated my install with an NIS 2007 key.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

By default NIS 2009 is virtually silent, which is perfect for folks who don't want to deal with permissions pop-ups. There are some settings that you may want to change though. For instance the "early load" option is OFF by default - I suggest turning it ON. There are good explanations of the various settings in the tool-tips and help.

12. zfactor

okay so how do i download a trial .. i already have lic keys that are valid and im not giving them my cc info but they dont seem to let me try it without adding that?? thanks

edit i found another link.. on their web site they wanted my cc info.. i dont think so lol..

13. zfactor

WOW NIS2009 is impressive!!!! wow its fast and i though kis2009 was fast ...edit LOVING THIS SO FAR

14. zfactor

okay i hate the internet toolbar... why do we really need this toolbar?? can in turn it off or should i just hide ito_O

how do i turn on the advanced firewall settings for app control??

and what is early load??

where can i go to figure out the settings of nis2009? the more advanced stuff??

also after restart ff3 is taking a much longer time to start up and load some pages is this normal. before the restart it was super fast..

okay it says it delted a file because it found a virus but how the heck do i see which file it deleted??

15. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

1. The Norton toolbar shouldn't be too bothersome unless it keeps giving you the Norton Identity Safe popups. You might like to get Norton Safeweb as well which just sits in your toolbar and does a mighty fine job at protecting you.

2. Go to Internet Settings > Scroll Down to the very bottom > Smart Firewall - Advanced Settings > Automatic Program Control turn to "Off" > Turn 'Advanced Events Monitoring' "On".

3. Early load is how quickly Norton loads up with your system. If Early load is on then Norton will be the first thing to load...Which does slow down the load time, so unless you need that extra layer leave it off.

4. Just press "F1" in the Settings and you will be able to see what each individual component of NIS2009 does.

5. With the virus first of all turn off automatic cleaning by going to; Computer Settings > Under Computer Scans look for "Remove infected files automatically > Turn it "Off".

5.b) Under Computer in the main window click HISTORY and it should open up recent history. Locate what has happened and click More Details.

16. zfactor

great info thank you. now since i started with the auto firewall is there a way to start over and fresh without all of the auto rules nis has made? i mean can i wipe them all and start over or should i just reset to default? thanks

is there anywhere to do simple app control without letting kis2009 choose for me...............

edit i found the app control.. i really like this program but i dont like the gui it takes so many steps to get to one thing.. but overall great so far.

17. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I installed on my business PC, which is used almost 18 hrs a day and connected to Internet too.

NIS 09 is working great and speed is at his best.

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

You dont need to turn on Early Load because it will be set automatically on if Norton encounters malware that needs rebooting to clean it.

19. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Theres a reset button in the advanced settings of smart firewall.

20. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I check it again and I was able to save eicar_com.zip on my PC.:mad:
    Is it me or what o_O .

21. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Simple because Norton doesnt have a "webguard" who scan files , it has a IPS ( in my opinion much more efficiente) if you download the eicar.com without the zip it will be detected in the Temp Files so dont worry :D

22. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

But it do have web scanner and also it scan files...just not archive files, you have to do that on demand.

Cheers

23. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

@Jassolo

It has a " web scanner" but it works in a different way no proxy ( more effective) comparing to kaspersky , nod32 , antivir etc ... thats the Intrusion Prevention System who protects against drive by malwares , exploits ... correct me if i am wrong xD

24. icr

icr Registered Member

Yeah after extraction of files the eicar file will definitely be detected and removed:argh: :argh: :argh:

25. zfactor

one thing i do notice and i dont like much is when nis2009 is actually working on something like a update or scan it def slows things down unlike kis2009 did for me. i could scan and update it and still use the system without issues with nis2009 i see when its scanning it def slows things down. maybe a setting im missing not sure.. also my cpu usage never will rest at 0-1% anymore its always at like 4-7% almost all the time..

also how do i stop the password thing from asking me to store passwords.. i checked do not ask again but it keeps popping up still.. ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.