Norton uninstall disaster

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by techlady, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techlady

techlady Registered Member

Dear forum,

When I tried to run Antivirus as usual, it stopped in C:\Windows\Temp and said that it couldn't go on because some files or folders of Norton wer missing. It told me to uninstall and reinstall Norton.
    When I did that, it also removed my CD-ROM/DVD controller. So I couldn't reinstall my Norton and, because I can't even run the Windows 98 disk, I can't reinstall a CD-ROM controller!
    Technical support at Symantec says they never heard of such a problem and can't help me, though they tried to sound sympathetic. I've checked everything, but now I'm a little nervous about even reinstalling the CD-ROM controller. Is this Norton weirdness or a virus?
    Anyone have any ideas?

Techlady

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have had norton remove internet settings and both my dvd and cdrw drivers in the past. I just won't use nav anymore.

bigc

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Techlady,

I don't have norton or know your version so I can't say for sure but, I'd like you to take a look at this link.
    When you get on the page and see the topic, scroll down the page past all the ads and such to the discussion.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_20854677.html

Now if no joy, here's some additional pages on a removal file you may need from Symantec.....

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256b81007b7487?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/1999111609485148

Hope something on those pages is useful for you,

GF

4. bigc73542

norton av seems to be real good at corrupting your tcp/ip and DNS settings. There mail proxy is what does that When you remove norton antivirus on some xp machines.

5. GlobalForce

So are you saying BigC TL should go ahead and reinstall that cd-rom controller and maybe pickup some connection
    fix tools to have on board before going ahead with the tools from symantec?

GF

6. bigc73542

Back when I used to use norton I removed it and lost all of my tcp/ip and DNS settings. I spent one and a half hours with norton support trying to get it fixed. They finally admitted that there was a problem with norton removing tcp/ip and DNS settings on some xp computers but since it didn't affect all xp computers they were not going to persue a solution to the problem. Well I finally figured how to remove norton without screwing up the files. You have to disable norton antivirus including e-mail scanning then reboot and then use add/remove to get it out. Then if you are comfortable in the registry you can go there and clean out a ton more of norton and symantec entries. If you have already had a bad removal, reinstall it and then remove it the way I described. and it should uninstall pretty well. In my opinion there is no excuse for a program removing files not related to itself, but symantec is good at it.

bigc

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  7. GlobalForce

Thanks for clearing that up C. I would take your advice here knowing you were the proprietor of your own repair shop,
    and have the realtime experience with many of these programs.

Good Stuff BigC!

GF

8. bigc73542

I don't know how it happened but some of the stuff that I used to do in my shop actually stuck in my head :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.