norton system works rescue disk problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by teozsen, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teozsen

teozsen Registered Member

I have norton system works 2001, windows98SE. When I download an update and go to to update my rescue set I get a message saying some files cannot be copied. this happened several times. pressing for detail I get a message saying there's not enough space. When I decided to check the diskettes, there was some room, I don't know if enough....but I noticed that I could compress the diskettes to make more room available. Will the rescue set still work if I do this? o_O
    teo

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Format the diskettes before creating the updates on disc. you don't just keep addind info to the disc's, you are copying the current def files on the comp to disc it will not hold the old files on the disc and the new. When you create the disc's you will get the new and old that are on the comp so you want the disc's blank when you create them.

3. teozsen

the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. How do I formatt diskettes.... do I formatt the same ones I have been using? Or should I use new ones?Thank you> :D

4. bigc73542

use the same ones,install a diskette and click start/ click my computer, or C drive/ then right click the A drive and click format/quick format. repeat with all disc's and then when done create your new rescue disc's. All the new and old def info that is needed will be saved to disc.

any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

bigc

5. teozsen

Thank you for the reformatting instructions. I had a couple of sets of rescue disketts I wanted to reformat, now I know how. I did notice that norton systemworks apparently erases all files on the diskettes when using the "create" option on the rescue window. So I went exploring, I found that: Viruscan9.Dat is the only file that won't be copied...quoting the insufficient space reason...even before using empty diskettes on the create option; so, thinking it may have been caused by some filter I went and looked at my spybot resident log aand found that I had denied an Nprotect change[ inadvertently]...those things come up so fast and inopportunely that I was not surprised I may have pushed the wrong button. would you happen to know how I can undo that denied change? I think that may be the fix I need , since there's a later dat in the norton log.
    thanks again for your consideration
    teo

6. bigc73542

No I don't know where in SB to un block an entry I am sorry to say. You can probably find the answere at their home page. ;)

7. cduval04

cduval04 Guest

Hi. I am having this same...insufficient space problem..the files that cannot be copied for me are virscan7.dat and virscan9.dat...has anyone come up with a solution to this?? I do not have spybot...I had adaware and uninstalled it but that didnt work.....are there any other types of filter that can do this. SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAPo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.