Norton/Symantec sells out

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Aww, geez... so that means they will have a freakin' toolbar with Ask checked by default? Great... Feels very cheap to me. :mad:

3. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

I hate toolbars too, toolbars are just marketing, but is there any real difference beside the name between the Ask Toolbar , Google Toolbar or Yahoo Toolbar? Very often i see software like CCleaner categorized as adware on software repository websites like Softpedia because has the Yahoo Toolbar included but why DIVX, RealPlayer, IrfanView and others that include Google Google Toolbar or included the GT in the past are considered clean ? Maybe is just a marketing find ? Or maybe is just me being too paranoid because nowadays i can see software developers paying good money to have the software listed on huge software download repository websites like Softpedia and Download.com ? Think again...

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well, i have been bitching about an increased number of relatively uknown or freeware programs that started including the ask toolbar lately.

I guess, after this, i must stop. I mean, if the great Norton, with huge revenue and userbase, fell in the temptation, i guess i shouldn't complain about freeware authors anymore...

5. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Yes...hmm I think I saw this on a norton 360 beta screenshot that they include ask as part of their safeweb toolbar.

I really think security vendors should stick to what they are doing instead of burdening their own users with crap they don't need (especially since search is now integrated into all major browsers, and they pay for their software)...I might be able to forgive a freeware app or some smalltime company trying to survive but a retail giant like Symantec forcing these toolbars onto paying customers as opt-out option is a bit shocking.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Probably because the google search is liked and the ask is not. Although i just tested ask it seems just as good most of the time, but has a lot more ads.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well it stinks, and makes no sense seeing as how Symantec should have plenty of funds to keep from needing to do this. But, if you still have a CHOICE in whether or not to install the bar, it's "meh" news. If it's forced and you can't remove it...*waves goodbye to Symantec as he rides off into the sunset*.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

If there will be an opt-out, most people will not notice it and install it anyway. :thumbd:

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

There is a difference.

SECURITY SOFTWARE that by default installs those toolbars are in a way damaging the users' security/privacy. People will not expect such a thing from trusted and well-known software vendors that are supposed to protect them. I think the word 'betrayal' applies.

That other software such as RealPlayer installs toolbars should not come as a surprise.

And as for toolbars: there are differences. If you search in this forum you can probably find a reference about the ask.com toolbar and IAC, from what I recall IAC had (has?) a connection with Zango (adware/spyware?). I remember reading about that on sunbeltblog.blogspot.com .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I know a lot of money changes hands with the ask toolbar.
    A developer of a well known security software was offered the "opportunity"
    to have this included with his app in the installer and flat out refused.
    Even though doing so he could retire very comfortably in a couple years.
    Saying that he could not do that to his customers that trusted him.
    Those are the developers/programmers/venders that I like to deal with, not the ones that sell out.

12. Fuzzfas

Well, this makes you think just how hungry for money and ruthless those of Symantec must be. Of all security vendors, it had to be Norton? The one with the most revenue? Increadible... Symantec's CEO would sell its soul to the devil for money after this.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Again though, if there is an option to not install it, is this really such a big deal? If it doesn't affect the effectiveness of the product and doesn't increase the risk to security/privacy (if the bar isn't installed), then it doesn't mean much. None of you should be shocked Symantec did it for money, that's just business as usual in the corporate world. If it is forced on you, like I said earlier, then yes, it's a BIG problem.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If there is an option to pass on it, then I don't think it's a big deal at all. Even Adobe tries to push the Google Toolbar on you when you install Flash or the Adobe Reader. But you can easily opt out.

15. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I'm a NIS2009 user, and I have to say this decision makes me feel sick. I also wonder what this does to their SafeWeb product, which supposedly provides similar site ratings, but to all of the major search engines (Live Search, Google) -- Its my choice though which one I use. Is that dead now?

Even if its only optional, this could be a deal-killer for me. The last thing I want my security software to do is install bloatware components.

16. Fuzzfas

Well, it's not malware, but from "Mr. Yellow Box" i would expect something better than including the ask toolbar. I m pretty sure it won't be mandatory. But if Norton, which is one of the most famous and expensive AVs out there, resorts to that toolbar for income, what should the lesser players or freeware authors do? Commit suicide? Put plain adware/spyware?

Then we 'll have to see if it will be ticked by default or not. Most Norton users, aren't techies and will install it if it's checked, thinking it's an "added feature". Of course, their mistake, but surely if i were average Joe and paid 50 euros for the "famous" Norton, i wouldn't expect anything of the kind of ask toolbar in my antivirus. Most people who will install Norton, probably won't even realise that the toolbar isn't a Symantec product at all...

17. Fuzzfas

At least you don't pay 50 euros for them... They give them for free, so in exchange they try to unload on your PC a google toolbar.

18. CountryGuy

Here's the difference as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind companies like Google, Yahoo, etc. offering the installation of these types of toolbars - They provide a "free" product, and as long as its not required, if they can make a buck by offering it, fine by me.

However, retail for these products is easily over $50... Make it $51 and keep this nonsense out of the build.

19. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure this was a decision that the board of directors agreed to, not just John W. Thompson (Symantec CEO). Nevertheless, this just shows how greedy executives can be. I mean, they already get paid a lot; this deal is a way to pump even more money into their pockets. Hopefully, they'll pass along the benefits to their employees, since they are the ones that drive the company forward.

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

After all the years of slagging and "Don't use that bloat". They make 2009 and absolutely destroy these sayings. What a comeback. Are they really stupid enough to destroy that comeback with this? Sure it's not that big a deal, but word of mouth is a strong influence my friends, all this will do is bring back those years of slagging and justify them.

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

22. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Well then the Norton toolbar for me is on it's way out.

Oh, I use NAV, which does not package any such toolbar :)

23. CountryGuy

Agreed, I've been toying with the idea of NAV + Windows Firewall, I may just go ahead and pull the trigger.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've confirmed it is not present in NIS 2009 either, running it as we speak.

25. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Well spoken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.